2.1 maH, 4.2maH, 5W, 10W. HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by frldyz, Aug 21, 2014.

1. frldyz

frldyz New Member

New iPhone owner/user (5s)
    I love this thing. I don't know why I waited so long.
    I use this thing constantly through out the day. And the battery needs recharging through out the day.
    Im planning on investing in multiple wall charger, car chargers, and an external portable battery recharger and lightning cables ( hyperjuice.. morphine.. )

1. The bigger the number in maH for your car cigarette lighter the faster the charge?
    For EX: a cigarette USB charger with a 2.1 maH is going to charge faster then 1 with 1maH? And a 4.2 maH will charge faster then a 2.1maH?

2. If a cigarette USB charger has dual ports and is rated at 4.2maH. That's 2.1maH each USB port?
    *Now is that 2.1maH when both ports are in use? What if you are only using 1 port? Is it still 2.1maH or is it 4.2maH? I ask because the guy @ B.B told me this?

3. What are some of the better quality lightning cables I want to buy? Will all lightning cables charge the device @ the same speed?

4. When using an external portable battery recharger such as hyperjuice or morhpie: This is just a charging device correct? You charge the charging device. And when needed you just connect your phone to the device and it will charge the device as if it were connected to the computer via USB or connected to the wall?

.......so confusing......

Thanks guys.
    I've done multiple searches and got lots of conflicting info.

#1 frldyz, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
  2. frldyz

frldyz New Member

PS: I am using an Otterbox Armor case ( love it ). I am aware they make cases that have extra battery power. But Im not planning on ditching my Armor

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'll take questions three and four. I've purchased numerous lightning cables including Apple OEM, MFi (Made for iPhone) and cheap unauthorized cables. The cheap cables are hit or miss. There are also reports they can damage your iPhone, though I've seen no evidence of this personally. The OEM cables are expensive and in my opinion, not worth it. The MFi cables mean the manufacturers conform to Apple's standards. I've found them to be quite good. I'm particularly fond of the Arduro cables. The connector has a nice grip to it, longer than the OEM cables. With any of these cables, look for sales. I've been watching various deals and ordering extra cables.

There are a number of battery cases. They'll charge both the case and iPhone. I have a Lexmark that uses a microUSB. People seem to love the Mophie cases. I reviewed an older Mophie here.

As for charging, I've never been particularly worried about different charging specs. The iPhone charges faster than most phones, in my experience.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. & 2. No. You can only charge the iPhone at 5 volts. Cigarette chargers are 12 volts. The iPhone will only allow 5 of the 12 volts to protect it from overcharging. So, to answer your question, they will all charge it at the same rate.
    3. I recommend sticking with Apple certified cables or OEM (official Apple cables). They should all charge at the same rate, but the cheap knockoffs can break or stop charging as soon as a couple weeks after purchase.
    4. Yes.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Also, if it's within your budget, check into getting a car stereo that has a USB input. They only cost about $100. They're nice because they charge and play music and navigate with just one cable.

6. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I just replaced the stereo in my old car with one that has BT and a USB port. In addition to charging and music, I can also control Pandora thought the stereo when connected. Nice.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

We had a road trip yesterday and had cables every where. Years back, we had the audio plus charging hook-up using the older connection. It was so long ago, it was the first install of this type for the car audio store. It was awesome.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I got a new BT/USB car stereo a couple weeks ago and it has Pandora capabilities as well. I just installed the Pandora app and PandoraSkips (Cydia app to enable unlimited skips) last night and I'm going to test it out today.

9. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

That pandora app by itself may be worth a jailbreak.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, it's pretty nice. I also installed Weblock to block the ads.

#10 Europa, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  11. frldyz

frldyz New Member

Chris

What about maH, does it make much of a dif. if its 1maH, 2.1maH or 4.maH etc.....

Chris the Arduro cables look good.
    I have an otterbox armor case.
    Do you think if I trimmed down the end of the plactic near the connector it would fit into my otterbox armor?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think Chris answered questions 1 or 2. See my reply where I answered them. It doesn't make a difference. It will only charge at 5 volts.

You might be able to shave it down a bit with a dremel. I shaved a bit of plastic off both sides of my 0.2 meter 30-pin to Lightning adapter with a dremel to get it to work with my Element Sector 5. Here's a picture that shows how much plastic I removed:
    image.jpg

13. frldyz

frldyz New Member

Europa: Thanks for all the great useful info.
    Now that I understand it is limited to 5v that makes it a lot easier to decide.

1. How about the ipad mini? Is that limited to 5v?

Made a small little purchase lastnight on amazon for around $60.
    1 xcc dual USB 4.2Amp 20W smart high capacity wall charger
    1 scosche USB 242M 12W dual USB car charger
    1 Arduro 10' lightning cable
    1 Insignia 10' lightning cable

I also bought a Hyperjuice plug 18000MaH from their website for $112

14. frldyz

frldyz New Member

Europa: Hows Watts come into play when it comes to charging?

More watts from your wall charger or car charger faster then a lower wattage item?

15. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

The important issue with charging isn't so much the voltage (as you mention, they all use 5v), but the Amperage/Wattage. Bigger batteries like the iPad need higher Amp ratings in order to take a charge in a reasonable amount of time.

The formulas are:

AMPS = WATTS/VOLTS
    WATTS = AMPS x VOLTS

The iPhone charger is 1 amp/5 watts while the iPad charger is rated 2.1 amps/10 watts. Keep in mind that a standard USB hub/port delivers only .5 amp/2.5 watts, which is why charging takes so long via standard USB.

So, bottom line is you want and need a higher Amp/Wattage charger for an iPad in order to get it charged in a reasonable amount of time. Always check the specs on a car charger to make sure the output (on each port if it has more than one) meets your needs.