2.1 SMS reminder for incoming SMS

Mar 12, 2008
Somebody please tell me that there is an app, modification, hack whatever to disable the automatic reminder of incoming sms.

You get a new sms, see a preview and if you don't bother to read it then you get a reminder 5 mins later. Again if you still don't read it another reminder 5 mins later..

I must get 100 sms a day... most of which I don't need to ready immediately or at all and just keep for future reference. This is really really really really annoying.. :mad:

Please tell me there is some way to disable this... :confused:

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
I agree.... I HATE IT! I don't think there is anyway to turn it off. Hopefully in the next update you will be able too...

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
I don't mind it really...but as Matt mentioned, I don't believe there is a way to disable it

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Somebody please tell me that there is an app, modification, hack whatever to disable the automatic reminder of incoming sms.

You get a new sms, see a preview and if you don't bother to read it then you get a reminder 5 mins later. Again if you still don't read it another reminder 5 mins later..

I must get 100 sms a day... most of which I don't need to ready immediately or at all and just keep for future reference. This is really really really really annoying.. :mad:

Please tell me there is some way to disable this... :confused:
There is no way to disable this "feature",at least on a stock phone. Tons of people on the forum have expressed their displeasure and hopefully as Matt stated a future update will allow the option of turning it off.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Mine doesn't seem to work at all. I got a text message didn't look at it (didn't even wake the phone up to do anything else) and I still haven't received any reminder alerts. Does it replay the alert tone or just vibrate?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I believe the first alert is a tone and the second vibrates. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe this is correct.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I believe the first alert is a tone and the second vibrates. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe this is correct.
Well that would make sense then. Can anyone confirm? The case I have insulates the vibration pretty well. I can never hear/feel it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It should vibrate and ring again, but not until 20 minutes. This should be user-selectable, but Apple is famous for not making new features optional.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I have noticed that since 2.1 that about 50% of my text don't even light up the screen. My reminders work though and it's not that big of a deal to me since I usually answer my text asap.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I will test mine and see if it works. I always look at txt on the spot so don't know if it works or not.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The default is 5 min. Dave is stating what it should be and not what is. He is saying 5 min. is too soon.:)
Nope. I read 20 minutes here somewhere, and the two times I've experienced the feature myself (I usually view them right away), they came after 20 minutes, and they rang and vibrated.

They're coming in 5-minute intervals for you?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Nope. I read 20 minutes here somewhere, and the two times I've experienced the feature myself (I usually view them right away), they came after 20 minutes, and they rang and vibrated.

They're coming in 5-minute intervals for you?
Oh,my bad I guess. As stated I haven't tried it yet, but I could have bet the farm that it was 5 min. intervals. I though that is what Apple stated.

Disregard my 5 min. statement.:oops:

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
i get a sound and vibrate alert after 5 mins of not checking and then after 10 and 15 mins i only get vibrate

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
Mine happens every 5 mins with a ring and a vibrate.