2.1 update any Positives?

flipper421

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Oregon
All I have been reading is negative posts on all forums about the new 2.1 update.

This is my first iPhone so I have never experienced the updating process with Apple. So far the updates have all caused me some sort of grief. The last one I had to do a complete Restore and somehow I lost all of my contacts and I had to reload all of my music again. Not to mention that I picked up a significant lag time in all touch responses.

I'm very leary of updating to 2.1 after reading the issues with Battery Power etc.

Have the updates with The iPhone always been this buggy? Just curious...

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
All I have been reading is negative posts on all forums about the new 2.1 update.
That's because most people who don't encounter problems are less likely to post about the positives of their iPhone. Remember, anger is a VERY strong emotion...

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Since 2.0 came out the iPhone has been more buggy, which the updates 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 didn't seem to really resolve the issue. This 2.1 update was to focus on the bugs, lag, backuping time, etc. It is still not perfect, but will it ever be? We all want it to be perfect, but will still find something wrong with it, not a bad thing though.
I recommend it, I have noticed a lot of good features and took away the bad glitches the iPhone had. Very few people had major issues with 2.1.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I personally, never really had major issues on my iPhone 3G.
I didn't get insane backup time, nor have to do restore, however, I did experience some of those minor bugs... such as texting lags, app crush on me time to time... (didn't bother me too much though... ).

After I updated to 2.1, I can tell my phone has been much more stable... so far hasn't had texting lag yet.. (i used to get really bad lag when I type japanese), installing apps is flawless.... so far it's behaving very well...

My battery life gotten so much better as well, I think it's because of the stable 3G reception...

I would suggest you to update to 2.1 in my opinion.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I didn't get insane backup time, nor have to do restore, however, I did experience some of those minor bugs... such as texting lags, app crush on me time to time... (didn't bother me too much though... ).

After I updated to 2.1, I can tell my phone has been much more stable... so far hasn't had texting lag yet.. (i used to get really bad lag when I type japanese), installing apps is flawless.... so far it's behaving very well...

My battery life gotten so much better as well, I think it's because of the stable 3G reception...

My experience is very close to yours except that I did have to restore once right before 2.1 came out.

2.1 is the best update so far. And we even get the Genius playlist function on our iPod!

latinnftl

Bronze
Mar 19, 2007
Overall, my experience after the update has been good. The backup via iTunes is fast. I have had more problems though with 3G, it seems to be less stable (perhaps they've set the OS to switch to Edge much too soon if 3G signal isn't at a certain level). I never had so much movement between 3G and Edge.

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
I finally downloaded the update. It has been great since the updates. It has done everything it said it was supposed to do. Better battery life, no more glitches in text, and better more accurate service.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Overall, my experience after the update has been good. The backup via iTunes is fast. I have had more problems though with 3G, it seems to be less stable (perhaps they've set the OS to switch to Edge much too soon if 3G signal isn't at a certain level). I never had so much movement between 3G and Edge.
Prior to 2.1, I couldn't get 3G signal inside my office... when it did, it's barely 1 bar.... it will just keep going back and forth between edge and 3G...
So I had to turn off 3G so that it won't drain my battery.

After 2.1, I wish I could say I get 3G full bars.... well.. NOT!
HOWEVER, I do get 3G signal 2-3 bars and it stays that way. (now I can surf the net at work without any restriction... LOL)

gsxrdude

Aug 22, 2008
I'm glad someone posted this, I was just about to post it myself. You're right, I've heard more bad things about the update and nothing good. People express their anger and frustration a little more than they would vis versa. Well I'm gonna do the update, wish me luck!

LionOfTheSouthUK

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
Had one problem aftre updating to 2.1, turned out to be my fault. No complaints whatsoever from me.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm not sure where you guys are getting this negative vibe for 2.1

I'd say my experience is just the opposite... I've read mostly glowing reports on stability and bug fixes, and the only negative stuff for the most part is people complaining about no new features.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I have to agree. Personally, I haven't had a single issue. And now jailbroke it's just as stable as the iPhone has EVER been!

AWY

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
California
I am quite pleased with this most recent update. The sync time is soo fast, now.

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
great notes from the mod and others. i am considering migrating over and really dig the +/- comments.. thanks guys.

flipper421

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Oregon
Thank you for the feedback both positive and otherwise. I did pick up some negatives on this site but most came from the Apple Support Forum and there seems to be quite a few there. I don't believe everything I read as some folks tend to make it sound worse than it actually is.

I knew that I could count on getting answers from both sides here as it seems to be a very friendly and fair environment to get information. I have found this forum to be extremely helpful and I usually get my questions answered.

After seeing the responses I will take the 2.1 plunge!

Thanks again for your thoughtful responses!

tjd

Aug 10, 2008
2,1 upgrade

i've had only positive results with 2,1 upgrade.
Got rid of serious problems I had with synching.
Siskell and Ebert type of "two thumbs up"