2.1 Update-PLEASE HELP!

Jul 11, 2008
Hi,
I just purchased a first generation iPhone, brand new in package, and want to unlock and jailbreak it to use on T-Mobile. The phone is running on 1.1.4. Can I go from 1.1.4 to 2.1, unlock and jailbreak, all in one step, or will I have to do something extra?

I currently have a 4gb running on 2.1, T-Mobile, but just purchased a 16gb because I can't fit all my apps and music, etc. on the 4gb.

Thanks,

Laina

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I would recommend restoring the new 16 GB iPhone and upgrading to the 2.1 firmware. I would then suggest doing the Jailbreak and Unlock using either QuickPwn or WinPwn. That will clear out anything (well, most anything) from the previous owner and then get the phone working on T-Mobile again.

Jul 11, 2008
I would recommend restoring the new 16 GB iPhone and upgrading to the 2.1 firmware. I would then suggest doing the Jailbreak and Unlock using either QuickPwn or WinPwn. That will clear out anything (well, most anything) from the previous owner and then get the phone working on T-Mobile again.
Hi,
Thanks for your response. To do the first thing, do I just connect the phone to iTunes 8.0 and click on update, or should I click restore too? Do I put my sim in before I do this or after? I am familiar with doing the QuickPwn, just not sure about the first part. Thanks again!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi,
Thanks for your response. To do the first thing, do I just connect the phone to iTunes 8.0 and click on update, or should I click restore too? Do I put my sim in before I do this or after? I am familiar with doing the QuickPwn, just not sure about the first part. Thanks again!
I do not believe that your SIM card is in danger, but it won't be a bad idea to take it out just in case. I would choose Restore and go back to factory settings because if you Upgrade then it will attempt to upgrade the unlocked firmware and that could cause the phone to brick.

After you restore I believe iTunes is going to tell you that your SIM card isn't the right kind or that it is just not there, either way, you're fine. Now you want to run the Jailbreak software that will allow you to activate the phone on T-Mobile and get it up and running. After you run the QuickPwn or WinPwn you should be all good to go.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I do not believe that your SIM card is in danger, but it won't be a bad idea to take it out just in case. I would choose Restore and go back to factory settings because if you Upgrade then it will attempt to upgrade the unlocked firmware and that could cause the phone to brick.

After you restore I believe iTunes is going to tell you that your SIM card isn't the right kind or that it is just not there, either way, you're fine. Now you want to run the Jailbreak software that will allow you to activate the phone on T-Mobile and get it up and running. After you run the QuickPwn or WinPwn you should be all good to go.
Very sound advice, and very helpful.