2.2 field test

2nynbak

Aug 20, 2007
There have been posts about how you can test the signal by dialing *3001#12345#* then pressing "call" but the new 2.2 software seems to have changed how to read the results. Does anyone know how to read how strong a signal is with 2.2?

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
It lets you see your phone's true signal versus the bars, which can be deceptive at times. Cell phone signals are measured in dBµV/m (decibel microvolts). When you enter field test mode your bars should change to a number. However, the closer to -100 the value is doesn't mean it's good.

I believe -50 is pretty near the best you can get where anything above -100 you're going to start having some problems (dropped calls, slow data, etc.).

A lot of folks were upset with Apple's 2.1 update because they claimed to have improved the signal but if you entered field test mode most saw that their true signal had remained the same.

Hope this helps.

2nynbak

Aug 20, 2007
It lets you see your phone's true signal versus the bars, which can be deceptive at times. Cell phone signals are measured in dBµV/m (decibel microvolts). When you enter field test mode your bars should change to a number. However, the closer to -100 the value is doesn't mean it's good.

I believe -50 is pretty near the best you can get where anything above -100 you're going to start having some problems (dropped calls, slow data, etc.).

A lot of folks were upset with Apple's 2.1 update because they claimed to have improved the signal but if you entered field test mode most saw that their true signal had remained the same.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot that helps. My number right now is 107 now 99, 101 so I guess it's right near the edge of a good signal.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I'm assuming you're on 3g? If not, go to Edge and I bet you get a lower number.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
I get better edge signal than I do 3g. What does the 3 tabs do? Umts cell env mm and gsm cell env? Can you change anything with them?

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Don't really know what the other tabs do. I've only known people to use field test mode to see their true signal.

If you like seeing what your true signal is there's an easy way to do it without going having to dial the code. When you are in field test mode just hold the home button down til it exits. Then you can press the signal bars/numbers to toggle back and forth. If you do this I don't think there is any going back, though.

alirulzz

Nov 26, 2008
how would u do a field test for the iPhone 3G?

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
i would hope not because you're standing pretty much under a cell tower with that much reception.

It's good, but not standing under a tower good. ;)

Here's mine.

Edge/ -57

3G/ -71.

Another think I forgot to mention is if you have a good signal your battery life will be better. So if you are getting -55 for a signal your battery will last longer than if you are getting a -95 for a signal.

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
Guys so what is the best signal? -1 or -100 ? lower number then better right?

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
The lower the better.

-50 will about the best you can get.

Higher than -100 and you're going to start having signal issues.

Hope that helps.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
i would hope not because you're standing pretty much under a cell tower with that much reception.
Cool! :cool:
That's why I never understood why people in other places had issues with reception.
Here in Honolulu, AT&T has one of the best, if not the best, cell networks in the state as far as reception. There was an outage last week but that was a freak and rare occurrence.
My friend was on Molokai with his iPhone and he was the only one to have EDGE reception. The rest of his friends with Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile had zero reception.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
However, the closer to -100 the value is doesn't mean it's good.

When you say "anything above -100", I'm assuming you mean like -85, -5, etc., yes? Since you're starting with a negative number, anything above (higher) would be a smaller root number. Are we on the same page?

Please clarify. Thanks!