2.2 firmware to have Google street view

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I just saw this on iPhone hacks
Apple has seeded its developers of the iPhone Developer program with the second beta version of iPhone Firmware 2.2.
Mac Rumors is reporting that iPhone Firmware 2.2 beta 2 has Google' Street View fully enabled. So we can expect the feature whenever the firmware is released to iPhone users.

The first beta version of iPhone firmware 2.2 was seeded to developers exactly a month back.
iPhone Firmware 2.2 Beta 1 had revealed that we could see features like Google's Street View based on some hidden APIs. Mac Rumors is reporting that iPhone Firmware 2.2 beta 2 has Google's Street view fully enabled.
The release notes also indicate that Line-in audio accessories are now supported in the SDK.
You can see the video of Google Maps for mobile which demonstrates the new Street view feature on the Blackberry to get an idea on what to expect.
Apple has not yet announced when iPhone firmware 2.2 will be available to iPhone users.

Update:
In addition to Google Street View, iPhoneYap is reporting that you will also be able to get walking and public transportation routes as part of directions in Google Maps application.

I hope this is true.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Last edited by a moderator:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
that's cool and all but WHAT ABOUT PUSH NOTIFICATION
I agree. Looks like we are getting all these "coming soon" items with no action. Push was to be here in September and September has been PUSHED into October which is on the verge of being PUSHED into November.:)

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
iPhone Hacks is reporting that along with Google Street View, the directions that Google Maps gives us can be selected between walking, car and public transportation. Also, they say that the "Update All" function is coming back to the App Store on the iPhone.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Yup, read on gizmodo that Street View and Walking directions are a go-go, but everything else is a no-no.

Seriously, cool updates, but what the hell? There should be less of a focus on new updates with things not necessarily needed, and more of a focus on updates that fix old problems.
I will appreciate the update, no doubt, but I'm a little unhappy the how the update system works. 2.0 to 2.1 to 2.2? A lot to fix before 2.2, don't you think haha?

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
Ya, like cut-n-paste.... sorry, couldn't resist:p
Tg

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yup, read on gizmodo that Street View and Walking directions are a go-go, but everything else is a no-no.

Seriously, cool updates, but what the hell? There should be less of a focus on new updates with things not necessarily needed, and more of a focus on updates that fix old problems.
I will appreciate the update, no doubt, but I'm a little unhappy the how the update system works. 2.0 to 2.1 to 2.2? A lot to fix before 2.2, don't you think haha?
I think Apple feels that Street View is important to compete with the G1. Of course, EMOJI is important to sell ANY iPhones in Japan!

See, the thing is... sales are not affected because there are no cut & paste, push notifications, stereo Bluetooth, Flash, voice turn-by-turn navigation, etc. We ALL bought the iPhone anyway! If you hit Apple in the wallet like the Japanese did in droves, I'm sure they'll get moving...

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Oh yay to Google Street View but what about a real GPS app? Makes me miss my LG Voyager with VZ Navigator. Sad but true.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
So 2.2 wont have push notifications either...
*sigh*
I think I remember hearing back in July that there would be push notifications in September. Isn't it like October now?

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
So 2.2 wont have push notifications either...
*sigh*
I think I remember hearing back in July that there would be push notifications in September. Isn't it like October now?
Yup so they ARE behind schedule, even if it does come out in 2.2.

Truly, these "sneak peeks" at 2.2 are not official announcements. There have been surprise features in previous updates.

So, until there is something concrete from Apple, we do not know exactly what is coming out in 2.2 aside from rumors. I would think, though, that something like push notifications would push the revision number up to 3.0 or something like that.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Well, I know that palringo now has the ability to show you the number of IMs you got in that little red circle. Of course, that cant work until there is push....so all the developers are preparing for it.