2.2 jailbreak and Lag reports

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Only place i'm consistently getting lag is opening photos or camera. It's fine on a fresh respring but a short while later and it takes up to 10 seconds to open photos. Settings can get bad too. Uninstalling Winterboard seems to have helped. I'll keep you guys updated.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Connie, I think pwnage tool has a few issues that still need to be ironed out... Seems like everyon using it has had more trouble.

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
I am going to wait and see what happens B4 I JB again. I think I read about 40% success and many issues.

I wish I could just swap out some images like the colored signal bars, but I don't see the folders in iPhone browser in an unlocked state.

Steve

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well it wasn't winterboard that was causing my lag, so the next suspect is Backgrounder. I've left WB off for now and removed backgrounder and I'll see if the lag returns. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, I'm about to head off to work, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it's Backgrounder that is causing my photo and settings lag. I don't notice any lag now since uninstalling it about a half hour ago, and the lag would have crept back in by now based on my experiences.

Stands to reason that that one in particular is a memory hog. So I can happily continue theming... just no more background apps till they nail this one.

I gotta be able to take pictures and peruse them quickly.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, I realize no one could possibly care about this as much as I do. That said, here's what I'm seeing:

There is a lag inherent to the photos app. After a while, it just takes longer to open for whatever reason. Same with settings. Now, without Backgrounder installed, though I still get the lag, closing the app and going back into it immediately there is no lag (or I should say... the usual). With backgrounder installed, that lag remains until I respring.

So if anyone is still stock 2.2, can you keep an eye on your photos app for me? Let me know if it tends to take longer (~7 seconds) to open say about an hour or two after rebooting/respringing.

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
Both settings and photos take roughly 1.5-2 seconds to load. Also contacts used to lag w 2.1 JB in I would open contacts & it would take a bit till I could scroll. now it is almost immediate.. 2.2 stock not broke yet. has not been reset, as well I seem to have a lot of battery left today with 12h 11m standby & 2h 5m usage. I have e-mail push every 1/2 and I left wifi on but wifi ask to join off.

Give me a ring if you want to time some stuff.

I time mine like this click/ one one thousand, two one th. then it comes up. Camera takes till three one thou till the shutter opens. settings and photos and most things were at about 150-200 % of the current speeds I see.

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
so I tried to time it with my clock & I am pretty close. 2 seconds for settings, photos slightly less, 3 for the shutter to open. It has been very consistent with this release. I love safari now. It works Soooo much faster than 2.1.

I will continue to lurk till I hear of higher success with JB & windows till I jb.

I do think that if you add a TON of cydia apps your performance has to suffer. I would really like to just customize a few things- I want to make my own signal bars, green when transparent & green or blue when solid- I know it cant be that hard. I am not quite sure why they went to all that trouble to mod it but let it be black when it is a solid status bar- But everyone has their own opinion right? thats what makes this stuff so fun!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Well I timed all of the stock iPhone apps and here are my results: (By stock, I mean the apps that the iPhone comes with)

SMS: 2.6 seconds
Calendar: 2.5 seconds
Photos: 2.8 seconds
Camera: 3.9 seconds
YouTube: 3.5 seconds
Stocks: 2.3 seconds
Maps: 4.1 seconds
Weather: 2.4 seconds
Clock: 3.5 seconds
Calculator: 2.2 seconds
Notes: 3.7 seconds
Settings: 2.9 seconds
iTunes Music Store: 3.5 seconds
App Store: 3.3 seconds
Phone: 1.8 seconds
Mail: 2 seconds
Safari: 3.3 seconds
iPod: 3.6 seconds

On average, each app takes 2.99 seconds to open.
On a JB phone, do these times seem normal?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Just to let everyone know DO NOT try and jailbreak using the new aluminum MacBook it will not work. There is some sort of issue with putting the phone into DFU mode. I went and bought a new toy and now have to use someone else's PC to jailbreak my phone.

all of my stock apps will open >2 seconds. I have tried all of them and my photos take the most time but it is still under 3 seconds. Im going to jailbreak in awhile and i will report back and well see how it is then.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Again, the only thing I really noticed backgrounder slowing down were: photos, camera, settings, and sometimes SMS. And it was slight. If you find the functionality of that program essential, it's probably worth it to deal with the lag.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Again, the only thing I really noticed backgrounder slowing down were: photos, camera, settings, and sometimes SMS. And it was slight. If you find the functionality of that program essential, it's probably worth it to deal with the lag.
The only thing I've found Backgrounder good for is IM apps...but it stops backgrounding those apps after a short amount of time so I don't find it worth keeping.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You're right. It forgets apps rather easily. The only thing I've found it good for is running Pandora while doing other things, but those "other things" are usually surfing, which is really slow on edge with Pandora streaming. So, basically, I don't do that often. If I'm in wifi, I'm at home or the studio so I'm listening to other things anyway.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I don't know what it is but today I am back to some lagging especially in SMS and also having occasional mail issues.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
well im finally jailbroken with 2.2 and i must say it is already smoother and snappier. I really hate the fact i cant use my aluminum Macbook though.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, my lag eventually came back. It's definitely better and occurs less often with Backgrounder uninstalled, but I don't think I can narrow it down to that program. Or any program really. Apprently there is still a slight amount of lag inherent to the jailbreaking process itself. But it's still a hell of a lot better than it was with 2.1, so I'm counting my blessings and giving up on the snipe hunting.