2.2 jailbreak and Lag reports

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I recently realized that cydia updated to show you the storage space on your iPhone.

I noticed my system partition space only has only 10% free, but other partition space has plenty free space.

I did a quick research about this and seemed like most JB people's system free space is low like me....

I have no idea how much free space does stock phone has....
now it got me curious, is it because of low free space on system space could be one of reason to make thing slower...on JB phone?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
probably not... we've been dealing with that since the beginning of jailbreaking. You can free up some space with Boss Tools.

Or if you're really worried about it, you can make the system partition larger with Pwnage Tool, but that will require a restore.

Dec 8, 2008
N
After four days i restored, i couldnt handle the extreme lag and poor quality overall of the phone.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I restored the other day because I just had too much on the phone and was having problems with the phone going into safemode and lag was awful. I JB again and just added a couple of themes to winterboard. I am back to no lag and loving it. I think the more you add, themes, apps (cydia),etc. the more lag you get? Anyways, now I am jb and lightly themed and so far so good. We will see.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
probably not... we've been dealing with that since the beginning of jailbreaking. You can free up some space with Boss Tools.

Or if you're really worried about it, you can make the system partition larger with Pwnage Tool, but that will require a restore.
Ah, ok..
Just thought it might be one of the reason it lags.... ;)

I'd be interested in expand the size of system space, but it in deed sound complicated, so I'd just stick with what I have for now ;)

itrocks4u

Jan 13, 2009
Is 2-3 sec lag normal? Esp for settings or SMS?

Or is that too much?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
That sounds close to normal. When you click on SMS and can count 1, one thousand, 2 one thousand... to 5 or higher, THEN there is a problem.
I am not jailbroken, and my SMS take about 2 seconds to open. And that is after having the phone on for about 4 days straight with no reboot.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
That sounds close to normal. When you click on SMS and can count 1, one thousand, 2 one thousand... to 5 or higher, THEN there is a problem.
I am not jailbroken, and my SMS take about 2 seconds to open. And that is after having the phone on for about 4 days straight with no reboot.
A simple respring via SBSettings or BossPrefs might do the trick without having to spend the time rebooting.

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
Like Connie says go light w your apps and themes. I just opened up SMS and it took 2 seconds. I think sometimes there is things like checking mail going on in the background that can slow things, as well as maybe a poor wifi signal.

Aug 29, 2008
Some of my times:

Clock - 3.2 seconds
Camera - 5.2 seconds
SMS - 4.3 seconds
Calendar - 3.3 seconds
iPod - 2.2 seconds
Settings - 5.1 seconds

I don't know how that compares to non-JB phones, but it seems pretty good.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The biggest indicator for me was opening photos. When the lag started, that was the first thing to show it. It should take 2-3 seconds. 4 MAX. Any more, and you got "da lag"

Aug 29, 2008
Pictures opens for me in 2-3 seconds, but I can't really blame it since I assume more photos = slower load.

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
Just about everything lagged for me when I recently jailbroke. Also, half the themes I installed via Installer or Cydia didn't work when I activated them in Winterboard.

After about two weeks, I decided to restore, and now everything is much faster - from 5-6 seconds to 1-2.

But strangely, the carrier name that I changed to my last name while jailbroken is still there! That's actually kind of cool.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The Make It mine app does not get erased when you restore.

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
The Make It mine app does not get erased when you restore.
Oh...is there a way to erase it? I'd hate to get screwed if the phone goes down and I have to get it fixed by Apple...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Oh...is there a way to erase it? I'd hate to get screwed if the phone goes down and I have to get it fixed by Apple...
Might have to take it all the way down in DFU mode and then restore.
DFU - Launch iTunes and connect phone to USB cable.
Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons for 10 seconds, then release the sleep button while still holding the home button. If you are on windows, you should hear the "peripheral connected" sound when the phone has booted into DFU, and a few seconds later, iTunes should show a phone connected in recovery mode.

Otherwise, rejailbreak, install make it mine again, change it back to stock, and then restore.