2.2 Upgrades with 3G Gevey TURBO SIM

aj1982

Nov 11, 2008
I have used 2.1 , turbo sim and jailbreak my phone..and then i got my new replcament Turbo SIM. The phone function Did not work so i have to restore it today and by coincidence the 2.2 version just released today and i was restored and updated to 2.2 through iTunes 8.02!I have no choice

And the result ! The Turbo 3G gevem simcard doesnot really help to get network at all to this new upgardes 2.2!It keeps telling NO Service but for the first few seconds it did recognized the network but the reception is too weak or gone completely!

someone please help?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
For the most part, turbo sims are junk and unreliable. Not a good way to go. Best bet is to wait for an unlock method. It is my understanding that it is real close to being released.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Here's what the Dev Team had to say:

The use of SIM-Proxies (small circuit boards/chips that sit underneath the SIM card) to provide GSM/UMTS service on your locked iPhone 3G is a method that we have always advised against. Early reports suggest that the 2.2 update disables the functionality of these devices. The techniques used were always unreliable and we are surprised that they have lasted this long.

I have an unlocked version of the 3G. As the 2.2 upgrade also upgrades the baseband I've yet to find out what impact it will have on my iPhone. Hopefully none.

marcbkk

Bronze
Jun 29, 2008
I read a thread somewhere by a guy who bought a legit unlocked 3G in Hong Kong and then did his 2.2 upgrade via iTunes only to discover he could not longer use the phone with his cell provider's SIM afterwards. I guess he got the 2.2 baseband disease as well, despite having a legally unlocked phone.

I also made the mistake of ugrading to 2.2 and my Turbosim is also no longer working.

My assumption is that within 30 days the Turbosim manufacturers will come up with a new version of the Turbosim to tackle the new baseband firmware issue.

For now, we just have to sit back and enjoy our iPhones which have been converted to an iPod touch

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I read a thread somewhere by a guy who bought a legit unlocked 3G in Hong Kong and then did his 2.2 upgrade via iTunes only to discover he could not longer use the phone with his cell provider's SIM afterwards. I guess he got the 2.2 baseband disease as well, despite having a legally unlocked phone.
Can you please let me know where you read this?

I'll be calling Apple before upgrading and want to be sure of some facts first.

boba

Nov 22, 2008

have unlocked-there's no problem at all. that would be insane if Apple released update causing problems to unlocked units.it's just story from some idiot who got his phone bricked being jealous about unlocked units

boba

Nov 22, 2008

I also made the mistake of ugrading to 2.2 and my Turbosim is also no longer working.

My assumption is that within 30 days the Turbosim manufacturers will come up with a new version of the Turbosim to tackle the new baseband firmware issue.

For now, we just have to sit back and enjoy our iPhones which have been converted to an iPod touch

Sit and enjoy your "iPod touch" and don't make stupid comments about unlocked phones-better buy it and use it

marcbkk

Bronze
Jun 29, 2008

Sorry, I was reading a lot of stuff online this morning about iPhones and it was a forum post I saw somewhere. I can't remember the site, but I will see if I can find it again for you.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
have unlocked-there's no problem at all. that would be insane if Apple released update causing problems to unlocked units.it's just story from some idiot who got his phone bricked being jealous about unlocked units
Thanks.

So just to confirm, you have updated an unlocked 3G to 2.2?

Could you tell me what the model numer says from the About page in Settings please?

I was thinking this through and it makes no sense for the baseband upgrade to lock it. The unlocked countries - Singapore, Italy, Hong Kong etc, would then have a flood of people calling their countries official supplier to get their iPhones activated with no way of doing this from iTunes.

I'd stilll like to check first though ;)

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England

boba

Nov 22, 2008
Thanks.

So just to confirm, you have updated an unlocked 3G to 2.2?

Could you tell me what the model numer says from the About page in Settings please?

I was thinking this through and it makes no sense for the baseband upgrade to lock it. The unlocked countries - Singapore, Italy, Hong Kong etc, would then have a flood of people calling their countries official supplier to get their iPhones activated with no way of doing this from iTunes.

I'd stilll like to check first though ;)
my model is MB489T. and version now is 2.2(5G77)

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
For the most part, turbo sims are junk and unreliable. Not a good way to go. Best bet is to wait for an unlock method. It is my understanding that it is real close to being released.
Oh well, I hope they work on a release for the 2.2 version then. Because the Turbo Sims (I have the Gevey-3G one) are working just fine until 2.1.

marcbkk

Bronze
Jun 29, 2008
Here's what the Dev Team had to say:
The use of SIM-Proxies (small circuit boards/chips that sit underneath the SIM card) to provide GSM/UMTS service on your locked iPhone 3G is a method that we have always advised against. Early reports suggest that the 2.2 update disables the functionality of these devices. The techniques used were always unreliable and we are surprised that they have lasted this long​

For Dev-Team to simply say that SIM-Proxies are unreliable is not true. For those people living abroad like myself, and who have no other way to be able to use their 3G phones, it is the only solution. And mine worked perfectly for a long time, of course until I made the mistake of doing the 2.2 upgrade.

Of course, everyone would like a software unlock instead of using SIM-Proxies, but the phone has been out since July, which is 5 months aleady, and still there is no software unlock available. Lots of talk on the Dev-Team site, and I am sure they are hard at work at it, but the reality nothing else is available yet. So people have to use what is available and at this point SIM-Proxies are the only option for some people. So lets be thankful for small blesings rather than knocking them!

This English web site though says they offer a software unlock for the 3G, which is basically what Dev-Team has been working on:

http://www.unlocx.com/index.asp

They also say they offer a working rollback to Firmware 2.1 which is available in their members area, but I don't even see a log-in area for members on the site.

I wonder if this site is legit...

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
So people have to use what is available and at this point SIM-Proxies are the only option for some people. So lets be thankful for small blesings rather than knocking them!
I wasn't knocking them - just passing on the info.

This English web site though says they offer a software unlock for the 3G, which is basically what Dev-Team has been working on:

http://www.unlocx.com/index.asp

They also say they offer a working rollback to Firmware 2.1 which is available in their members area, but I don't even see a log-in area for members on the site.

I wonder if this site is legit...
I've often wondered about these websites.

We all know unlock is possible as some carriers do it on request (Australia) and others will have to (O2 in the UK once the contract is up).

I'm also sure there are people out there that are just as capabale as the Dev Team.

It's plausible, thereforee.

If I had a £400 locked iPhone I think I'd risk £14.99 on it working. You can always get the money back from your Credit Card Company if it turns out bad.

One trip worth of overseas calls would easily save that.

No inclusion of Cydia mentioned though!

marcbkk

Bronze
Jun 29, 2008
Here's the registrant info for the domain.

Anyone near Herts who could 'pop round'?
Rip - Unfortunately I doubt it is a legit site. Apparently there are a number of these fake sites running in the UK which I read then send a link for you to download some tool which doesn't work. There was one site that gave a list of these scam sites, this was not one of them, but I believe if this guy had a real fix then more people would be talking about it.

Anyway, www.iphonehacks.com talks about a method to rollback your firmware to 2.1 if you did the 2.2 upgrade. I followed the steps and it didn't work for me. I also put a post on their blog which explains the problem I had when trying to rollback the firmware to 2.1. You can read here if you like and scroll down to see my comment:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/11/downgrade-22-21.html#more

Unfortunately a rollback to 2.1 would only allow you to jailbreak your phone again, but probably would not allow you to use it again with a Proxy-SIM, which is really my only interest at this point since I am back to using my Moto Razr for the time being.

marcbkk

Bronze
Jun 29, 2008
Doesn't that make them unreliable?
Not really. It was a cheap and completely reliable solution until I made the mistake today of doing the 2.2 upgrade. Considering Dev-Team snubs them, but is yet to offer any better solution for unlocking at all, I am yet to put as much faith in Dev-Team as I have in Proxy-SIMS. Simply put, Proxy-SIMS have worked at unlocking iPhones since the release of the 3G and to date Dev-Team has no unlock on offer.

My assumption is that there will be a big market for the Proxy-SIM manufacturers to sell everyone a new Proxy-SIM so they can use their 3G iPhones with the new 2.2 Firmware. You will probably also have all new phones being sold by Apple stocking the 2.2 Firmware out of the box, so they will need an Proxy-SIM unlock solution as well so they can be used abroad.

At this point I am banking on a new version of a Proxy-SIM to appear on the market before an unlock solution from Dev-Team for the 3G is even available. Dev-Team has claimed to be close for a long time so it is hard to know how much longer it might be before they offer something. Also worth noting that any Dev-Team unlock will only work on older versions of the 3G Firmware. Not sure how keen I would be to run an old version of the Firmware just to have a software versus a hardware unlock that runs with the latest Firmware.

And for the $10-$15 cost of a Proxy-SIM, that is a fine solution for me :)