2 day old iPhone is broken?

paul_h

Nov 22, 2008
I exchanged my 8gb for a 16gb 2 days ago since I was within my 30 days (at Best Buy) and I noticed it did not charged while plugged into the wall last night. SO I plugged it into my computer and it still did not charge. I looked this up on the forums and saw a suggestion to reset the phone, I tried that and it did not let me restore it!

I have not used jailbreak on this phone or anything, is this a cause to return the phone or should there be something else I should try? The phone doesn;t even work now, it just has a nearly depleted picture of the battery and a lightning bold under it... :(:(:(

p.s. iTunes won't even recognize the phone now...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I exchanged my 8gb for a 16gb 2 days ago since I was within my 30 days (at Best Buy) and I noticed it did not charged while plugged into the wall last night. SO I plugged it into my computer and it still did not charge. I looked this up on the forums and saw a suggestion to reset the phone, I tried that and it did not let me restore it!

I have not used jailbreak on this phone or anything, is this a cause to return the phone or should there be something else I should try? The phone doesn;t even work now, it just has a nearly depleted picture of the battery and a lightning bold under it... :(:(:(
Either take it back to Best Buy for an exchange (which for some reason is probably a bad idea) or if there is an Apple store near you, make an appointment with a Genius and have them look at it. (btw, bring the receipt, just in case)

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Hard to try anything else if the battery is so dead the phone wont turn on and you cant charge it. I say take it back and see if you can get a new one as opposed to one thats refurbished. Beings you bought it from BB and the person working returns doesn't know how to fix the phone you shouldn't have a problem returning it.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Have you checked your USB cable?

p.s. iTunes won't even recognize the phone now...

paul_h

Nov 22, 2008
I took the phone back and the same guy who I got the phone from helped me. He said in the past two months that they have been getting a lot of iPhone returns. Oh well, I hope this new one doesn't have any problems, but it was easy to return. It is just setting up the phone again and organizing all my icons.

Thanks for the replies.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
You managed to take the phone back to the Best Buy store and not an Apple Store?

I took the phone back and the same guy who I got the phone from helped me. He said in the past two months that they have been getting a lot of iPhone returns. Oh well, I hope this new one doesn't have any problems, but it was easy to return. It is just setting up the phone again and organizing all my icons.

Thanks for the replies.

paul_h

Nov 22, 2008
yes, I took it back to Best Buy and it was actually the second exchange which is why i was a bit worried. The initial exchange was to bring back my working 8gb because I decided I wanted a 16gb. They didn't even charge me the 10% restocking fee, though I guess that might appear on my AT&T bill.

Is it unusual that they took it back no questions asked? He didn't even turn on the phone to verify the problem, just sent someone to get me another and swapped the SIM and info, no charge.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Is it unusual that they took it back no questions asked? He didn't even turn on the phone to verify the problem, just sent someone to get me another and swapped the SIM and info, no charge.
When just Apple and ATT were selling the iPhone, if you bought from ATT and had a problem you had to deal with Apple. ATT does no returns period. So it surprised us that best buy did the exchange.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
That is very surprising indeed. I guess Carphone Warehouse managed to come to some agreement with Apple to do in-store exchanges at Best Buy.

Got to give it up to those Brits. They know how to do businesss ;) Why couldn't AT&T do the same?

When just Apple and ATT were selling the iPhone, if you bought from ATT and had a problem you had to deal with Apple. ATT does no returns period. So it surprised us that best buy did the exchange.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
That is very surprising indeed. I guess Carphone Warehouse managed to come to some agreement with Apple to do in-store exchanges at Best Buy.

Got to give it up to those Brits. They know how to do businesss ;) Why couldn't AT&T do the same?
They apparently have been dealing with manufacturers long enough to prove to Apple that they can handle exchanges and such.
Meanwhile, AT&T is a phone service company first and retail phone center second.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
BB has a pretty good return policy, I wasn't surprised they took it back no questions asked.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I think best buy is better about returns than Apple is. I once had an mp3 player, took it back 4 times in one year. On the fifth time I was able to just get a completely new player, higher capacity, smaller, color screen and the works. I always try to buy from them if I can just because of the return policy.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
You guys ever tried to return something at Circuit City? They act like it's personally coming out of their own bank accounts. They try everything for you not to return the goods.

I guess this is why they are now bankrupt.

Best Buy has a far superior return policy.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Same thing happened to my HTC Tytn II. The microUSB slot stopped working (where I plugged in the charger and the computer cable). No one was able to fix it for me, so I just sold it as spare parts after buying it for hell a lot more.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
You guys ever tried to return something at Circuit City? They act like it's personally coming out of their own bank accounts. They try everything for you not to return the goods.

I guess this is why they are now bankrupt.

Best Buy has a far superior return policy.
I've only bought a couple of items from CC and when I did return one of them they didn't give me any problems.