2 Different battery life readings? Help

Zaft

Apr 13, 2008
Hey, its my 1st post. Just have a question.
Im alittle confused here. im getting 2 different battery life readings.
For instance, on the iPhone(small battery on the top right of the screen) it shows
around 40% charge left. When i connect it to my pc the big green bar shows up. but it shows that i have over 50% charge left. Why is this?
Thanks

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Welcome to EIC. As for your question, mine does this as well and I think that it's just because the phone thinks it's getting an "initial surge" of battery charge so it looks more charged than it actually is. I could be wrong but I think that's what is happening.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Mine does the same thing when I plug it into the charger. It can be down to 20% charge and after I plug it in it looks more like 40%.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Your battery indicator uses an inexact science to guess the amount of life left. This guesstimate gets more innaccurate after frequent charging without first draining the battery. This can cause weird jumps like what you describe.

Now, don't take this to mean you should drain your battery before charging.... quite the opposite. The iPhone likes a little charge whenever it can get one. And it's certainly not good to drain your battery to zero too often.

But it can be a good idea once a month or so, just to "remind" the battery indicator of what the baseline is. Just be sure to charge your phone fully once you completely discharge it... leaving it in that state would not be good for the life of the battery.