2 Questions

May 25, 2007
1. Since the iPhone will NOT have a removable battery (& battery cover), how on earth are you gonna get your sim card in there? Is there a slot for it somewhere on the side?

2. Anyone have any ideas on the speaker audio quality? I ALMOST traded my SE w810i for a rim pearl.... that's until I heard the quality of the external speaker on the pearl... my high bit mp3 ringtones sounded like crap! Nevertheless, the pearl is on its way back to fort worth tx. (where it was shipped from)

Sorry, that was actually 3 questions. :-P

ckontyko

Bronze
Mar 14, 2007
Speaker sounded good during Jobs' demo, but it was amped, I'd assume. I doubt it was EQ'ed, however, and it didn't sound tinny.

-CJ

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
There is a sim slot on to bottom.
I thought the sim "tray" (I think that's what Jobs called it) is on the top according to the keynote. It didn't seem to show a door or anything. I was wondering the same thing and also about the battery. There must be a decent way to take the back off to do the SIM and battery. Just guessing. :)

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I thought the sim "tray" (I think that's what Jobs called it) is on the top according to the keynote. It didn't seem to show a door or anything. I was wondering the same thing and also about the battery. There must be a decent way to take the back off to do the SIM and battery. Just guessing. :)
I don't think we will have easy access to the battery. It is one of the main complaints I hear about the iPhone. It usually follows right after no 3G and no 3rd party apps.

Reference: The Ultimate iPhone FAQ by David Pogue
Can you change the battery yourself? –No. You’ll have to send the phone in to Apple for battery replacement, just as with the iPods.

May 6, 2007
United States
Answers:

1. Yes, there is a SIM slot on the iPhone.

2. Nobody knows for sure about the true speaker quality of the iPhone at this point, but I would guess that it will be very good. Apple has very good sound quality on most of their products, and I can't seem them skimping out and making the external speaker quality anything less than good to great.

When I first got the iPod, I was amazed at the quality and simplicity of the sound. I hope to see the same on the regular headphones and the external speaker.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Apple has very good sound quality on most of their products, and I can't seem them skimping out and making the external speaker quality anything less than good to great.
I've used an iBook, MacBook, and several PowerBooks and have not been very impressed with the sound from most of them. I'm hoping the iPhone has an above-average speakerphone and listenable movie/song audio.

May 6, 2007
United States
I've used an iBook, MacBook, and several PowerBooks and have not been very impressed with the sound from most of them. I'm hoping the iPhone has an above-average speakerphone and listenable movie/song audio.
Huh. I have been very impressed in the sound quality in the Apple products that I have come across. Maybe I just got better ones :laugh2:.

As for the speakerphone, David Pogue is asked about this in his ultimate iPhone FAQ. He says it is very good, for a cell phone. You can find it here: http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/13/ultimate-iphone-faqs-list-part-2/

T-HAN

Bronze
May 11, 2007
I cant watch movies on my macbook. Speakers aren't loud enough...:( Hope that will be different on the iPhone!

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I cant watch movies on my macbook. Speakers aren't loud enough...:( Hope that will be different on the iPhone!
Exactly. The MacBook sound is too quiet. I wonder how much of this is "OS X" or the app that outputs the sound. It seems once in a while I'll get a video of some sort that is plenty loud. I had similar problems with iBooks and some PowerBooks.

May 25, 2007
That's the same with PC laptops. Little speakers mean thin sound. Almost need a docking station or headphones to enjoy DVDs.

But we're talking about the iPhone here... and again, my current phone delivers excellent external sound... i'm talking about the "ringtone" department.. not when listening to music or watching video, I would definitely wear earphones for that.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
But we're talking about the iPhone here... and again, my current phone delivers excellent external sound... i'm talking about the "ringtone" department.. not when listening to music or watching video, I would definitely wear earphones for that.
that just depends on the phone certainly. My Moto Rokr sounds pretty decent with just its external speaker, but the RAZR and V551 both sound thin. It might be better for $600 for sure, but I don't expect Bose sound either.:)

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
that just depends on the phone certainly. My Moto Rokr sounds pretty decent with just its external speaker, but the RAZR and V551 both sound thin. It might be better for $600 for sure, but I don't expect Bose sound either.:)
I agree, you have to be realistic in your expectations. The sound can only be so good from speakers that will fit in a phone. I will be satisfied if they are good enough to make the iPhone work well as a speaker phone.