2 speakers on the bottom?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cpolaris502

Bronze
Nov 15, 2007
Rogers, MN
this will probably sound like a dumb question but are both of the speakers supposed to work on the bottom? or is one the mic?

when i exchanged my phone for the 8 gig a while ago i noticed that only the left speaker plays. i never noticed it with my old 4 gig. also, the speaker phone seems a lot quieter on this new one, maybe because of the speakers.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
this will probably sound like a dumb question but are both of the speakers supposed to work on the bottom? or is one the mic?

when i exchanged my phone for the 8 gig a while ago i noticed that only the left speaker plays. i never noticed it with my old 4 gig. also, the speaker phone seems a lot quieter on this new one, maybe because of the speakers.
One speaker and one microphone

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
For some reason this thread made me happy. We need these every few weeks.
There's something nostalgic about the old one speaker question.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I love the dried spittle in the mic.

It is good to know which side it's on though, it can make a real difference where you position the phone how intelligible you are.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Apple missed a trick - they should have had 4 speakers and modified the output depending on orientation to keep the stereo correct.

I call it Auto Stereorientation and the copyrite is all mine, all mine

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
I have a question.

Why would there be a duplication of microphones? One on the front, and one on the bottom. Make no sense. No other phone I have ever heard of has two mics. It's not like Apple is going for stereophonic recording, but no stereo playback. Nor would it make sense that one is for speakerphone use and the other is for handset use, when just about every speakerphone capable cell phone gets by with one mic.

I doubt that the other set of holes is a mic. Future purpose, canceled purpose, or aesthetic balance more likely. I bet it was designed for two speakers until the battery life peons took it out.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I have a question.

Why would there be a duplication of microphones? One on the front, and one on the bottom. Make no sense. No other phone I have ever heard of has two mics. It's not like Apple is going for stereophonic recording, but no stereo playback. Nor would it make sense that one is for speakerphone use and the other is for handset use, when just about every speakerphone capable cell phone gets by with one mic.

I doubt that the other set of holes is a mic. Future purpose, canceled purpose, or aesthetic balance more likely. I bet it was designed for two speakers until the battery life peons took it out.
Where is this "front mic" of which you speak?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think he's holding it upside-down and speaking into the receiver's earpiece.
;-)

Probably explains a lot of posts that the volume's too low on phone calls!

;-D
Hehe, would explain a lot... but I've read his posts and he's a bit smarter than that... just look at his thanks/posts ratio