20.00 Unlimited DATA plan?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ocala

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Ocala, FL
whats the difference between them?
i have an unlimited data plan.. for 20 and it includes text, email,int. browser, and ims. well whats else would i need to for me to have to pay the other plan?
I bought my girlfriend a Blackjack a moth ago, just to have an account set up. When I went back about a week ago to review the plan and ask questions about the iPhone.

The AT&T reps were surprised that I have the $20 unlimited data plan you mentioned on the Blackjack. When I asked why would be a problem, I was told that although there IS a $20 unlimited data plan, it is NOT supposed to be used for SMARTPHONES!

They went on to say if my account were to be "audited" by corporate I would likely be required to go with the $40 plan. I asked them why offer a $20 plan for one phone and not another?

I didn't get a straight answer, but the IDEA is that with a smartphone you would be able to get MORE USE from an unlimited data plan, and for this reason they cost more, specifically when purchased for a smartphone.

For whatever it's worth.....

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I bought my girlfriend a Blackjack a moth ago, just to have an account set up. When I went back about a week ago to review the plan and ask questions about the iPhone.

The AT&T reps were surprised that I have the $20 unlimited data plan you mentioned on the Blackjack. When I asked why would be a problem, I was told that although there IS a $20 unlimited data plan, it is NOT supposed to be used for SMARTPHONES!

They went on to say if my account were to be "audited" by corporate I would likely be required to go with the $40 plan. I asked them why offer a $20 plan for one phone and not another?

I didn't get a straight answer, but the IDEA is that with a smartphone you would be able to get MORE USE from an unlimited data plan, and for this reason they cost more, specifically when purchased for a smartphone.

For whatever it's worth.....
Cingular / AT&T has been doing that dance for a while regarding MediaNet, Smartphone, and PDA data plans. All plans use the same servers to access the internet. Using MediaNet in no way hampers your ability to surf the "entire" internet. PDA plan does offer a static IP if you need VPN access, but it still uses wap.cingular to access the internet.

By separating out the plans, it allows them to charge more for the same service depending on device.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Cingular / AT&T has been doing that dance for a while regarding MediaNet, Smartphone, and PDA data plans. All plans use the same servers to access the internet. Using MediaNet in no way hampers your ability to surf the "entire" internet. PDA plan does offer a static IP if you need VPN access, but it still uses wap.cingular to access the internet.

By separating out the plans, it allows them to charge more for the same service depending on device.
Right, so pretty much, if you are using cruddy internet on your regular 'ol flip phone, 20$/month. If you're using the same internet connection, but with a slightly larger screen, 40$/month. lol