$20 EDGE plan

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

gkreed

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
I read somewhere on here that AT&T was now allowing people to remove the $20 data plan. This would be for those who just use wireless.

I just tried this and they said that they weren't allowing this. She kept telling me my phone was not a phone but a computer that constantly accessed the internet even when I wasn't doing anything. She even tried to imply that it was trying to access the internet when in airplane mode. She said if I took the $20 off I would wind up with an astronomical bill even if I wasn't doing anything.

Is she totally off base here? Has anyone else here done this? I hate the EDGE and don't have good access in my area. I use wi-fi whenever possible. If I could save $20 a month - that would be great.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I suppose she has a point. Though I doubt any data comes through in Airplane mode, there really is no other way to completely turn off data transmission. If you have your email set only to check manually and you never accidentally hit weather, stocks, email, safari, youtube, or google maps while you're out of wifi range, you should be alright. But that is a lot of ifs.

The real data drain is checking email. Turn that off, and any "unintentional surfing" should cost you at most a couple bucks at the end of the month.

But overall, I'd say she was just trying to milk the $20/mo out of you.