$200 cheaper? There has to be a way to get this money back

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Fine, so you probably don't care about your $200. I finally got my money back but apparently money is not an issue for you so you probably don't about how I got it back!
if this kind of thing causes this must disruption and rage in your life, i think you need therapy.

thats good you got your 200$ back, but you only got it b/c of amex. chances are most people won't get it back, unless they are within the two weeks or whatever Apple's return policy is.

all these threads are doing are stressing people out and getting them upset. the ones who will get a refund (new purchases, whatever credit card stuff, etc) have a pretty easy couple steps to take. the rest (who purchased early or on day 1), should just get over it and move on with their lives.

if you can't handle it, stop buying Apple products, or hell, stop buying ANYTHING. this is how it is. they either drop the prices or bring out a new product that is better that whatever you bought 4 months ago.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
if you can't handle it, stop buying Apple products, or hell, stop buying ANYTHING. this is how it is. they either drop the prices or bring out a new product that is better that whatever you bought 4 months ago.
NO, this is not how it is! Apple screwed people over! It's not just a price drop for Christmas or some type of special occasion. Apple did something wrong and they know it! Why do you think this story is everywhere on the news today? Because it's a BIG deal, everyone knows it.

Apple, think different should be: Apple, think twice

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
its all over the news b/c the the US is full of whiners and people who want something for nothing.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
So, you are not going to request $200 back?
Let's pretend Apple says tomorrow they will issue gift cards or something for early iPhone adopters, you're not gonna try to get one of these?

trojan21

Jun 27, 2007
Why all the bashing on people who want to get $200 back? If the price fell and those that are lucky enough to be in that 14 day window wanted to get the reduced price then let them be....I would, I know a lot of people would. It's like going to buy a tv at best buy and getting a refund for a price match guarantee. For those outside the 14 day window...like me, it's unfortuneate but we have the right to rant when the only phone came out not too long ago. I still like my iPhone though...

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
So, you are not going to request $200 back?
Let's pretend Apple says tomorrow they will issue gift cards or something for early iPhone adopters, you're not gonna try to get one of these?
if Apple decided to do some sort of refund, or whatever, for early adopters. sure, i'd bite. who wouldn't? but i'm not going to spend my days up until then (which is most likely never going to come) posting and getting all angry or torturing some poor soul @ the Apple store or at Apple support.

i bought mine on day 1, and in doing so i accepted i'm probably paying more than others will be, whether its 2,4,6 months down the road.

i posted this on another thread, but its similar to all this HD-DVD/blueray stuff. early adopters are funding the r&d, whether they want to admit it or not. someday soon, these players are going to be 50% cheaper than what they currently are. will those who bought the 500$ 1st gen players all react this way? i doubt it. its how the technology market works. some people can wait for the latest,greatest. others cannot. thats the nature of the market, and those who wait, pay less.

did the suddenness of the drop surprise me? sure. am i pissed? no. i knew it would happen, and in the end, whether it happened 2 days, 2 months, 2 years later. i still paid 600$. nothing will change that, and there are more important things in life than letting something like this ruin my day or week.

if people have the option to return (within the 14/10 day thing), then go for it. if, like you, they used amex, then that's great. otherwise, there's not a lot you can do, and getting all bent out of shape and yelling at the poor employees at Apple (who have nothing to do with this), is a waste of time and energy.

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
To the original poster, and anyone else that feels Apple or AT&T owes you money - get over it.

It's quite frankly a little disturbing to see so many people going ga ga over this price cut - like someone stole something from them at gun point.

Really, wake up and smell the coffee - stuff starts out expensive, gets cheaper, especially in the cellphone businesss.

Early adopters pay top $ and get the bragging rights.

Other than that, you're probably wasting bandwidth moaning about being ripped off.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
No one can tell me that if Apple said day 1, we will lower the price of this iPhone 200 and no longer offer the 4gb, that 500,000 people would have bought it that day. They would have maybe sold a 1000, of course that might be a little low, but still. Im sure EVERYONE had it in their mind that, yep this will be the price for at least a year maybe year and a half, I know I did. And thats why I didn't wait.

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
I know it's a radical idea but..

Maybe Apple looked at the sales numbers, looked at the number of 4GB Vs 8GB units sold, looked at the market penetration they wanted to achieve this year, and decided that they should lower the price to meet those goals.

You know, now that they had actual sales data instead of projections to work with.

That's businesss - that's how things work - it's not a charity hand-out or a fanclub!

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I know it's a radical idea but..

Maybe Apple looked at the sales numbers, looked at the number of 4GB Vs 8GB units sold, looked at the market penetration they wanted to achieve this year, and decided that they should lower the price to meet those goals.

You know, now that they had actual sales data instead of projections to work with.

That's businesss - that's how things work - it's not a charity hand-out or a fanclub!
that's just plain crazy talk... what do you think this is? capitalism or something? oh.. wait.. :laugh2:

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Do ya think? Of course that is what they did, we're not idiots. I think the investors who got scared after they lowered the price and made Apple's stock go down are the idiots. I mean come one, They sold 500,000 on launch, and two months later they were on track to sell their 1 millionth iPhone? That information was available before this thing hit. 10 million iPhones in a year? They are the real idiots, not doing their own research not us.

We have a right to complain, Im sure the people who bought theirs on launch aren't complaining as much as the people who bought theirs 15 days ago. The 1st dayers should be ok with it.

rcrush

Jul 26, 2007
I don't understand why people are so upset. I mean I guess I do understand but I just don't see why anyone is surprised? Or why it was a bad thing to drop their price. doesn't this happen with any big cell phone that comes out? The price keeps dropping as time goes by. Although it did happen a little quickly with the iPhone. Still doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I don't understand why people are so upset. I mean I guess I do understand but I just don't see why anyone is surprised? Or why it was a bad thing to drop their price. doesn't this happen with any big cell phone that comes out? The price keeps dropping as time goes by. Although it did happen a little quickly with the iPhone. Still doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
The problem is they don't do it this soon. People had looked at Apple's other products which take a while to go down in price. It's the companies reputation in general of not dropping prices right away that through everyone for a loop.
When they have released things in the past (i.e. Ipods) they take awhile to go down, 60 something days was just not expected. Thats why people are surprised.
Yes it's businesss but it's rotten.
Rotten Apple!

Jul 2, 2007
Mt Brook, AL
Bull Poppy

NO, this is not how it is! Apple screwed people over! It's not just a price drop for Christmas or some type of special occasion. Apple did something wrong and they know it! Why do you think this story is everywhere on the news today? Because it's a BIG deal, everyone knows it.

Apple, think different should be: Apple, think twice
Apple did not screw anyone. What a crock. Apple made a businesss decision and lowered the price. I bought two on June 29th and I am not raving like some spoiled child. This sort of price cut, while dramatic, happens all the time. Do you screech when GM offers a rebate the week after you bought a new Chevy? Do you howl when the Fed cuts rates and mortgage interest rates go down after you refinanced? Grow up. The story is all over the news because Americans have become a bunch of whiners and wimps. "Oh boo hoo, someone was mean to me." Boo F***ing Hoo. Whiners.

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
The problem is they don't do it this soon. People had looked at Apple's other products which take a while to go down in price. It's the companies reputation in general of not dropping prices right away that through everyone for a loop.
When they have released things in the past (i.e. Ipods) they take awhile to go down, 60 something days was just not expected. Thats why people are surprised.
Yes it's businesss but it's rotten.
Rotten Apple!
Yes its businesss and most of us early adoptors knew the standard Apple way of working - price it high, don't drop the price but 12-18 months later upgrade it and remove the old model -never drop the price unless its a refurb. They have evolved and caught us all out (including the investors) and are now becoming more like their arch enemy. This must be one of the most rapidy phone price drops every - normally the price of a phone stays up with the demand - Moto's RAZ took over a year to start to drop in price - this either means demand is not as high as they predicted (price drop to stimulate the market) or they over estimated their ability to sell the iPhone (need to sell more units as they are in the pipe or inorder to please the investors). Come to think of it I have seen few other users of the iPhone here in Phoenix, maybe they all keep them in opaque holders and never answer the phone.
What p***s me off more is they knew at least 6-8 weeks ago the 4G model would be dropped, it takes that long to turn production off and meet/ramp for the 'double' demand on the 8G model, so this was clearly planned around the product launch time (if not before, consider they launched the new iPods yesterday and some of them ship within the day, I know my 160G Classic is on it way now, I have the tracking number, stock always high for launch) - that just suggests lets profit from early buyers to me and I consider that unethical - I would be less annoyed if the price drop had come in Nov-Dec after all the holiday period only starts around then - the product has the visiblity to not need the hype this early unless sale.........

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Steve's giving everyone a store credit - panic over iMoaners!

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiPhoneletter/
what? only 100$? i want a full year of free AT&T service, a free macbook and free iTunes for life!

seriously though, although i think people are a bunch of whiners, its good damage control by Apple. will pacify the masses, however unnecessary it is.

the genius move is who can go into an Apple store and spend just $100. Apple still wins :) (and so does my stock)

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Apple still wins :) (and so does my stock)
Yes, right, your stock is doing awesome lately....
Keep in mind that Jobs pissed off a lot of people; people like me who will never buy Apple again, so I'm not sure Apple still wins in the long run!