$200 iPhone coming up?

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
According to Kevin Rose of Digg, Apple is releasing a $200 iPhone, probably to gain market shares. What do you think of that?

I really don't want to see anyone walking down the street with an iPhone. But that is just my snobby side speaking... :p

Steveo 90

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
According to Kevin Rose of Digg, Apple is releasing a $200 iPhone, probably to gain market shares. What do you think of that?

I really don't want to see anyone walking down the street with an iPhone. But that is just my snobby side speaking... :p

he also said

the iPhone would have a slide out keyboard, a touch screen and two batteries (one for the MP3 player, one for the phone)

i know nothing about him but he got 1 out of 3..........
but a broken watch is right twice a day isn't it

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I really don't see AT&T subsidizing the iPhone, unless it's the current generation, just to clear stock. Kevin Rose, I'm sure, has some insider contacts, but like the other guys said, he hasn't been right in the past.

Joe

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It might be wise for Apple to develop an "iPhone Nano" at a cheaper price point but I don't see it being released anytime soon, maybe this time next year but probably not before then.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If there will be a cheaper option, my bet is it will be the 8gig G1 iPhone that is currently out. I could see them going for $200 after the new one is released.

Jun 2, 2008
I really hope that Apple keeps the price point high. Best thing about Apple products is their wonderful resale value.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I know exactly what you mean. On the other hand, as an iPhone developer, I should want everyone to have one.

Hopefully, there will still be more expensive versions for us snobby people to feel better about. "Oh, you just have the &(*&%& version, those are nice if that's all you can afford."

WRost78

Jun 2, 2008

makes sense, considering its supposed to go for 100 euros, which is roughly 250 US dollars. So who knows Apple is Apple.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
makes sense, considering its supposed to go for 100 euros, which is roughly 250 US dollars. So who knows Apple is Apple.
100 euros is barely over $150. 100 pounds inst even $250

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I have written on this extensively in a few other threads but I will just do a few bullet points.

1 It really makes no financial sense for AT&T to subsidize a phone that is selling so well (and makes even less sense for Apple to allow it since they sell it through their own channel as well).

2. Why would they sell it cheaper then even their competition is getting it for competing phones.

3. It would then become cheaper then the touch which makes no sense either.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
Originally Posted by sebefore81
I really don't want to see anyone walking down the street with an iPhone. But that is just my snobby side speaking...

________

i want everyone to have this phone... in my opinion it is the best phone i have ever seen and i wish that everyone had a chance to own it...

Last edited by a moderator:

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
If there will be a cheaper option, my bet is it will be the 8gig G1 iPhone that is currently out. I could see them going for $200 after the new one is released.
Never thought of that before! What's preventing Apple from continuing to sell the current iPhone model, maybe just at 8G, as the "low-end" iPhone without all of the new gadgets (gps, 2 cameras, better camera, etc)? This would be reminiscent of the launch of the iPod Touch and the iPod Classic was born. It's going to run the new iPhone OS so this is definitely plausible. :eek:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if they were planning on selling it after the release of V2, then all of the Apple stores everywhere wouldn't be completely out of them.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
if they were planning on selling it after the release of V2, then all of the Apple stores everywhere wouldn't be completely out of them.
Why? Why not hold off on v1 production to build hype for v2 then announce that v1 is available for $199?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
because they could have been selling them this whole time.

10:1 says v1 is bye-bye.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I don't know if it would make to much sense to sell the current version at a lower price, I mean sure more people would proabably buy it but look at what they did to the 4gb version when it became obsolete. don't you think they'd do the sams with the current version?

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I know Ive heard that name before "Kevin Rose"?

But anyway's I'm not snobby or anything, but I hope that that the price point stays as it is or "expensive". Im in High School and I remember that iPods were like the coolest things you could have or own, but when the shuffle came out it didn't matter much cause it didn't have a screen, but when the nano came out it seemed like everyone was able to have an iPod. Back then it seemed like something "exclusive", If the iPhone did that I sell mine in second cause it wouldn't take long for them to end up like the razr!

You do remember the Razr right?Lol! It started off as an ultra exclusive phone, then went to retail as being the "$500 dollar phone" and it seemed like every 6-months to a year another $100 dollars would be knocked, til it became a free phone for almost every carrier, and everyone and their grandma has a razr!
Do you want 7-8 year olds with an iPhone? Cause I've seriously seen a 7 year old with a razr, and a iPod nano!- and what hurt more is that he treated his iPod with no respect throwing it around like it were a "zune", Lol!