$200 Off Of Your iPhone!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 19, 2007
2 weeks before I bought my iPhone I switched to AT&T and bought the BlackJack for $75 after rebate. After purchasing my iPhone I sold the used Blackjack on Ebay for $250...Sweet Deal right? Well for all of you people who are thinking about switching to AT&T, I would suggest buying a phone at the discounted 2 year contract price, and then just Selling it on Ebay for at least $150-200 more.

Right now the BlackBerry Curve is like $199 after rebate and they are going for like $430 bucks on Ebay...

Just Some Friendly advice...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
2 weeks before I bought my iPhone I switched to AT&T and bought the BlackJack for $75 after rebate. After purchasing my iPhone I sold the used Blackjack on Ebay for $250...Sweet Deal right? Well for all of you people who are thinking about switching to AT&T, I would suggest buying a phone at the discounted 2 year contract price, and then just Selling it on Ebay for at least $150-200 more.

Right now the BlackBerry Curve is like $199 after rebate and they are going for like $430 bucks on Ebay...

You know, you might be on to something here. I've already got my iPhone, but this might be useful to someone familiar with eBay and has the patience for rebates. Good find.

How did you go about activating the iPhone?

-Chris

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007

That's the sh*t.
Straight hustlin'. lol

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
BTW, some of these rebates require you send your first 3 or so bills. I guess it wouldn't matter if you switched other than seeing the plan change to the iPlan.

-Chris

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
I almost did this before I bought my iPhone. But I didn't think it through all the way. My idea was to sign up with AT&T before iDay, port my Sprint number and get a 'free' phone. Then change everythng over to the iPhone later.

But I was worried about porting and activating. Also I didn't see any need for the 'free' phone. Kinda forget that they are still valuable and can be sold on eBay. I know the second guy in line behind me did this. Oh, well, maybe next time.

- SR

gulbane

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
This is what I did. Signed a 2 year contract with AT&T...got my Sony Ericsson W810i for $50. Sold it on Ebay for $200....used the extra $150 to buy my iPhone. So the iPhone cost me $350.

slingshot110

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
SF, CA
I didn't know that was an option! I even went into an AT&T store just before iDay and was told by a sales rep that in order to get the iPhone, you had to be a new customer and that existing customers would not be able to switch their service to an iPhone. Now, that made absolutely no sense to me, but I decided not to chance it and just waited a few days. I have no regrets, I love my iPhone more than my cat and almost as much as my girlfriend!

Gurk33

Jul 20, 2007

Did you get the Blackjack directly from AT&T? Their rebate requires you to (at a minimum) sign up for the $19.99 unlimited text plan to receive the rebate. Did you sign up for it with your new plan? Did you keep it on there when you switched over to the iPhone? Just be careful you're not screwing up your rebate status, or you won't really be saving money.

I just posted my thoughts on this same kind of iPhone price-reducing scheme here:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/you-think-it-wil-work.4485/

I won't say if it works for sure until you get your rebate check in 10-12 weeks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 19, 2007
Did you get the Blackjack directly from AT&T? Their rebate requires you to (at a minimum) sign up for the $19.99 unlimited text plan to receive the rebate. Did you sign up for it with your new plan? Did you keep it on there when you switched over to the iPhone? Just be careful you're not screwing up your rebate status, or you won't really be saving money.

I just posted my thoughts on this same kind of iPhone price-reducing scheme here:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/you-think-it-wil-work.4485/

I won't say if it works for sure until you get your rebate check in 10-12 weeks. :)
My rebate is already being processed so i should receive a check in the mail in the next 2 weeks. The only thing that matters is that i signed up for it that day, and never changed a thing until i got my iPhone. AT&T can't fault me for buying the iPhone and changing plans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gurk33

Jul 20, 2007
I hope not. Really, they can do pretty much whatever they want. You're the one who agreed to the lengthy user-agreement, not them. Although, it does say "Requires activation on a $19.99 or higher messaging plan" It doesn't say anything about keeping it - just activating it. Hu-zah!

Receive it in 2 weeks though? How is that possible? Even if you sent it 2 weeks ago, thats still only 4. Usually these things are 10-12.

I don't see how that should be a problem. Even a $39.99 plan and $19.99 text plan is equal to the minimum iPhone plan. They're still getting paid - they better send the rebate!

Corduroy

Jul 19, 2007
San Diego, CA
Yep, that's what I did with my w810i. Got it from AT&T at a discounted businesss cost ($70) and it's currently on Ebay. I will probably get ~$200 for it. I just sold my wifes 1.5 yr old Blackberry 8700c for $150.

Before you sell your old phone, get it unlocked. It will raise it's value and open up more buyers. AT&T gave me the unlock codes for both phones and I only had the w810i for 2 weeks. It took 2 calls but getting the right support person and telling you are going to Asia for businesss (which was true) helps!

mcnearcj

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
I was going to do this but I was worried about them telling me I can't get out of my new contract for the iPhone... damn wish I would have done it anyway!

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
ALSO to further increase your $$$ Get the rebate twice :) In store and then print it out online. Talk to your rep say you will buy acc. or get an extra plan addition like TEXTING. They get a bonus.

m2bpro

Jul 3, 2007
How do you get an unlocked code? Will At&T just give it to you? Please assist!
Yes, all you have to do is tell them you're traveling and you don't want to be charged the international roaming fee. When I did my Treo they gave the code and instructions to me while on the phone. With my wife's blackjack, i had to wait a week and they sent me an email with the code and instructions on how to unlock.