2008 Lexus and iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
Does anybody have a 2008 Lexus ? My Rx 350 is coming in today and I was curious how well the iPhone is compatible with it.

I could just wait and find out .. but I'm a "need to know now" kinda guy ... This is the reason that i got an iPhone... to find out anything .. anywhere.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: I probably should have put this post in the bluetooth forum. Sorry!

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Does anybody have a 2008 Lexus ? My Rx 350 is coming in today and I was curious how well the iPhone is compatible with it.

I could just wait and find out .. but I'm a "need to know now" kinda guy ... This is the reason that i got an iPhone... to find out anything .. anywhere.

Thanks a lot!

what is it that you need to know...i don't have one, but let's see if we can get you some answers

jay12

Oct 18, 2007

Thanks a lot!

i have an 08 rx too .. and it works great. its simple to set up on the navigation screen. calls come out clearly through the speakers and ive been told by friends that they can hear me fine on their end. its just funny having people at the stop light look at me because they think im talking to myself.

my only wish is that the contact list would transfer over to the car, because its tedious to input all of your contacts. but you can have a speed dial list because it wont let you dial on screen while youre driving.

let me know if you have any specific questions..

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
my only wish is that the contact list would transfer over to the car, because its tedious to input all of your contacts. but you can have a speed dial list because it wont let you dial on screen while youre driving.

sounds like lexus dropped the ball on this because the new '08 Bmw 328i i got shows all of your contacts while connected via bluetooth..

you can also just dial with your phone and have it pickup through the stereosystem.

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
i have an 08 rx too .. and it works great. its simple to set up on the navigation screen. calls come out clearly through the speakers and ive been told by friends that they can hear me fine on their end. its just funny having people at the stop light look at me because they think im talking to myself.

let me know if you have any specific questions..

Thanks a lot ... damn i thought maybe the contacts would transfer over ... oh well ... yes i may ask you some more questions after i pick up my car tonight ... Thanks again

jay12

Oct 18, 2007
Thanks a lot ... damn i thought maybe the contacts would transfer over ... oh well ... yes i may ask you some more questions after i pick up my car tonight ... Thanks again
no problem.. there still might be a way to do it.. i haven't done much exploring other than connecting it.. and i still use the phone to make the calls..

btw.. i love my rx :laugh2:

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I have the IS250 2008 and everything works fine for me. My phone book transferred over, I can also see the battery & signal strength on my LCD screen. I can also dial out via the LCD touchpad (had to cut some wires n stuff in the back of the car stereo system), but it all works.

People can hear me fine and it's all good.

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
UPDATE: Okay guys .. i brought home my Rx last night .. and tried playing with the bluetooth ... it does work fine with regards to calls ... but i can't get the contacts to transfer over .... I don't know if I'm doing something incorrectly ... I'll try again this afternoon.

jay12

Oct 18, 2007
UPDATE: Okay guys .. i brought home my Rx last night .. and tried playing with the bluetooth ... it does work fine with regards to calls ... but i can't get the contacts to transfer over .... I don't know if I'm doing something incorrectly ... I'll try again this afternoon.
im not too sure how to transfer the contacts either.. my recommendation is to put the numbers you constantly dial out on the speed dial.. if you find a way let me know! :laugh2:

JoeyB

Nov 3, 2007
Model Differences

Are there differences in the NAV software for Lexus? Does it matter if you have an ES, GS, LS, IS RX or other?

Any difinitive feedback - seems some have issues while others are fully functional. Anyone receive any feedback from Lexus?

A new twist, the is a product called iBROWSE that is an aftermarket connection for Toyota/Lexus to integrate an iPod into the car system. Any feedback on this type of connection and the iPhone use for music while also used via BlueTooth for phone?

bmw330ci

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
On my BMW all I can do is make calls. The contacts didn't transfer over or anything. Not even the voice dialing button on the steering wheel works, but that's probably because the iPhone doesn't have voice dialing. But then again, my old phone didn't either but I could still say a actual sequence of numbers and it would dial them from the phone.

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
yes that iBrowse connection seems interesting ... if anybody has used it .. could you please post your experience ?

JoeyB

Nov 3, 2007
iBROWSE

iBROWSE is from a company called Crime Stopper (crimestopper.com)

The unit is specifically for Toyota/Lexus and is used for an iPod to play music through the Lexus stero.

What I don't know is if the iPhone being used to play music also manges the bluetooth connection for the phone. Basically there are two connections - wired through iBROWSE for music and BlueTooth for phone. There are also two software sytems working to manage them - the iPhone (cut music an handle the call) and the Lexus NAV system - also cutting the music and handle the call.

Any conflicts? Would like to know.

tran_man

Sep 28, 2007
I just found this thread. I just picked up my 08 RX the other day and everything works fine but...has anyone found a way to transfer my phone book into the car? I can get the car to the point where it will accept contacts via bluetooth, but I can't find a way to transfer the contacts from the phone to the car.

Updates on this issue?

EDIT: Well, I found another thread that helped my issue. I just synced all my contacts from my BlackBerry Curve and that worked without a problem. Problem solved.

sevenno

Jan 29, 2008
Hi everyone!

I own a 2006 GS 430 and an iPhone. My problem is when making an outgoing call either via the iPhone or the touch key pad from the Lexus, after placing the call I get an annoying loud sound just before the phone starts to ring. Is this an iPhone issue or a Lexus issue? Any input would be a relief to my ears.

ssolomon

Feb 17, 2009
I have a 2007 GS350 and my new iPhone 3G works well with Bluetooth, but my iPod connection doesn't recognize the iPhone. I get an error message saying it's not compatible. I'm calling my Lexus dealer for more info.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Nope, that is correct no need to call Lexus. The new 3G iPhones dropped Firewire and this is what is causing your issue. I have the exact same issue with my Lexus unit. You'll probably find that you have a Vaistech unit in your Lexus. You can purchase the additional adaptor that you need for your 3G to work on your Lexus.

You will need this:

Vais.jpg

Which can be found here.

I have a 2007 GS350 and my new iPhone 3G works well with Bluetooth, but my iPod connection doesn't recognize the iPhone. I get an error message saying it's not compatible. I'm calling my Lexus dealer for more info.