2010 Prius

Oct 16, 2008
The Apple Store :)
Anyone seen the supposedly "leaked" photos? Some bloggers are complaining of the body changes -- you could mistake a blurry photo of the front end for a Yaris, or some other Toyota.

Still, it kind of reminds me when the iPod started getting smaller and "sportier". Aesthetic deviations from a "hit" are bound to upset somebody.

Oct 16, 2008
I say the Pictures and I think It Looks great. I gives it More of an Aggressive and futuristic look. Kind of like the new accord. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=126123
Interesting...I never thought of "futuristic" but it's certainly a different look. The thing about the Prius has always been that its "look" is somewhat polarizing. If you look at sites like the aforementioned edmunds or www.carfunfootprint.com (which compiles carbon footprint calculations and driver polls) the Prius scores rather low on "look" or "cool" factor (the cool thing about it has always been that it's a hybrid, not that it's shaped the way it is). So this might be Toyota trying to improve on that a little bit and I don't necessarily blame them, they've got a lot more competition now.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
anyone complaining about this car getting a design makeover needs serious help.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
It has the look of a futuristic celica...the new body style, not the old one

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Prius drivers need to stop complaining about cars and take notice that them driving that ugly car does not help the environment one bit.

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
Too bad it will only travel 3 miles on battery power, saw one the other day out of gas and battey alongside the highway. Green NOT battery disposal?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I've heard that Prius' actually harm the environment very badly when it comes time to replace their batteries.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I heart my gas guzzler. Me buying a hybrid would make me so lazy and never want to walk, because, hey! I get GREAT gas mileage!
(I am on a college campus where everything is within walking distance)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I found a study (I'll try and find the link) a while back that stated a hybrid driver would need to drive 20,000 miles a year for 10 years to get back the cost difference they would save on gas versus the extra money they paid for the hybrid.

If you don't care about the gas savings then you're focused on the environment and it turns out that the batteries on the hybrids are far worse on the environment than traditional batteries.

Additionally, you can buy a used Geo Metro that gets nearly 40 mpg for $2,000. With a full overhaul to put the Metro in great working order you're looking at $5,000. Much, MUCH less than a hyrbid.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the only rebuttal they may have to that study is that the figures were probably based on $3/gallon gas prices... MAYBE $4. Say you assume that gas is going to skyrocket in the next 3-4 years, and they MAY have a legitimate point.

Still, in 3-4 years there are going to be many more hybrid, flex, and who-knows-what other vehicles to choose from.

A friend of mine got a gen1 Prius when they came out. Used it a few months until the first big gas panic hit, and sold it for a profit of $5k (even with cigarette burns on the seats). She then went out and got a bitchin Mini Cooper.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The current state of our auto industry is a joke. They've had 100 MPG cars for many decades now. It's all driven by oil. I hate to be "that guy" but it's so true it's depressing.

Oct 16, 2008
A friend of mine got a gen1 Prius when they came out. Used it a few months until the first big gas panic hit, and sold it for a profit of $5k (even with cigarette burns on the seats). She then went out and got a bitchin Mini Cooper.
LOL...actually Minis are pretty fuel efficient for not being hybrids, so that would be the way to go.

But, let's face it, even they are making EVs now. Every major player in cars will have an EV in another 5 years...

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
LOL...actually Minis are pretty fuel efficient for not being hybrids, so that would be the way to go.

But, let's face it, even they are making EVs now. Every major player in cars will have an EV in another 5 years...
yes, pretty fuel efficient and a death trap. Have you ever been in one? There are very small. I would not want to get in an accident with one.
I am in no way ripping this car, I love the looks of it, actually looked at trading it in for one, but sat in it (which was a struggle) and realized it was too small. The car is not wide enough to fit a set of golf clubs. :(

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
yes, pretty fuel efficient and a death trap. Have you ever been in one? There are very small. I would not want to get in an accident with one.
I am in no way ripping this car, I love the looks of it, actually looked at trading it in for one, but sat in it (which was a struggle) and realized it was too small. The car is not wide enough to fit a set of golf clubs. :(
They're actually pretty safe if you look at their crash test rating. I looked at a mini, but there are so few dealerships around that they can basically charge you whatever they want due to lack of competition.

I got my beetle for way less than my mini on the lease payment....and the beetle is $4000 more than the mini. Oh, and I have a convertible before people start tearing apart my price of the beetle.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I will say I did not do research on what I said. I just feel that a car that small is just going to get manhandled if hit by a car doing 35mph. I think safety when it comes to cars, I always think the "what if" scenario. NOT a bad car though. I am not bringing it down in any way, just not for me.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm 6'4" and found my friend's mini to be the roomiest small car I've ever been in.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
It was a struggle for me to get in at 6'1". The car is not wide enough to hold a set of golf clubs.