2016 iPhone 7 to be "Thinnest Yet", in Line with New iPod Touch and iPad Air 2

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are way to slim the way it is. It is the first iPhone that I had to put a case on or it would slip out of my hand.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are way to slim the way it is. It is the first iPhone that I had to put a case on or it would slip out of my hand.
Speaking of slippery, I took my Plus out of its case last night to clean up with a microfiber cloth (I have a prospective Craigslist buyer this evening). That sucker went flying out of my hand and landed several feet from me (on carpet, thank goodness). I'll always use a case.

Loquutis

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Mississauga
Never used a case. Never ever went flying. I could never hide such a nice looking phone in those boxy, rubbery, bloated, horrid cases.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Never used a case. Never ever went flying. I could never hide such a nice looking phone in those boxy, rubbery, bloated, horrid cases.
I think the leather Apple cases are pretty nice, slim and surprisingly protective. Without a case, it's really slippery to me. It's easier to lose a secure grip on the 6/6 Plus than any of the past iPhones due to the size, material and rounded edges. To test this, hold it in your hand with the Lightning port facing the ground and very slightly loosen your grip. It will slip through your hand with just a tiny bit less pressure. I'm mindful to keep a tight grip mine tightly whenever it's not in a case. It hasn't gone flying, but I know it could easily slip without that tight grip. My leather case makes it require significantly less pressure for a good grip, so I don't have to worry about it.

Loquutis

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Mississauga
Yes, I have said before I use a leather Sena case. More of a sleeve actually. Just not a case such as those Otter cases. So industrial looking.
Hey, when it does go flying, so be it. Wear and tear is to be expected. It will then have that nice "lived in" look to it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, I have said before I use a leather Sena case. More of a sleeve actually. Just not a case such as those Otter cases. So industrial looking.
Hey, when it does go flying, so be it. Wear and tear is to be expected. It will then have that nice "lived in" look to it.
You said you never used a case in your previous post.

ednygma

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 9, 2009
Louisville, KY
I think the leather Apple cases are pretty nice, slim and surprisingly protective. Without a case, it's really slippery to me. It's easier to lose a secure grip on the 6/6 Plus than any of the past iPhones due to the size, material and rounded edges. To test this, hold it in your hand with the Lightning port facing the ground and very slightly loosen your grip. It will slip through your hand with just a tiny bit less pressure. I'm mindful to keep a tight grip mine tightly whenever it's not in a case. It hasn't gone flying, but I know it could easily slip without that tight grip. My leather case makes it require significantly less pressure for a good grip, so I don't have to worry about it.
I previously used the Apple Leather case and liked it a lot for the same reasons as you. I switched to the Tech 21 because I wanted the lip to go all the way around the phone. With the way the Apple Leather was open at the bottom it caused my Zagg glass protector to begin to fray at the bottom edges and took away from the aesthetics. I slide my 6+ in my pocket when walking around and that is what caused the fraying along the open edge. With the Tech 21 and a replacement Zagg my phone slides in and out of my pockets well and there is no fraying. The Apple Leather is still a great case in my opinion but ended up not being what I really needed.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No case, sleeve. I've said that before.
Oh, it's a sleeve. You said you never use a case in your first post, then you said you use a leather sena case in your second post. You used the word case, so I thought it was a case.

Loquutis

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Mississauga
Sorry, I did not mean to mislead anyone.
Yes I use the sleeve to prevent any scratching. But "cases" I don't really like. I only ever used one on my first 3GS phone and it scratched the hell out of the back and sides of the phone.
I had a rubber bumper sort of case for about 15 minutes when I first got the 5. I returned it right away. I didn't even make it home with that case. I just can't stand holding a block of rubber in my hand when it should be the smooth silky feel of the phone. They are so industrial looking.
I know I have a bad habit of jumping on posts about cases. I should really stop that.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Sorry, I did not mean to mislead anyone.
Yes I use the sleeve to prevent any scratching. But "cases" I don't really like. I only ever used one on my first 3GS phone and it scratched the hell out of the back and sides of the phone.
I had a rubber bumper sort of case for about 15 minutes when I first got the 5. I returned it right away. I didn't even make it home with that case. I just can't stand holding a block of rubber in my hand when it should be the smooth silky feel of the phone. They are so industrial looking.
I know I have a bad habit of jumping on posts about cases. I should really stop that.
Good post. I wasn't trying to pick on you. You just confuzzled me a bit with sleeves and cases.

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
This thinness mania has gone too far IMHO. We have begun compromising function for form. It's like when the mania for tiny phones swept the industry. Postage stamp-sized screens make for a small phone but the usefulness of such screens is nil. Nobody wants a brick for a phone. Anybody else have a Nokia E90? I did. That was me rebelling against the smaller/thinner/lighter movement that was beginning. We were headed for the "Zoolander phone." So an iPhone a couple millimeters thicker, but with a significantly better battery, would be a huge step up. Imagine how Apple would set the world on fire (again) with a 2-day battery? I remember my old BlackBerrys that would last 3-4 days on a single charge. By todays' standards these old phones did squat, but oh that battery life!