22% Thinner

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
He points to an article by the UK's TimesOnline, which cites a UBS Investment Research analyst as saying the device could be available in Britain for as little as £100 (or ~$200) beginning in July.
Jesus and we thought the hundred bucks rebate was bad. Imagine the glow on the faces of the new iPhone owner (average age now 14yrs) with there 3g, GPS, 32gb for £100 ($200). Jobs is really throwing crap in the faces of his initial loyal adopters. :mad:

Sell your iPhone 1 immediately otherwise by august $50 will seem a good deal.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Well, I don't see it that really. Granted we got 100$ rebates for what that was worth, but remember we are now one year out. The new phone *in theory* will have a feature set that is superior to what we have now. Apple has been with AT&T and has seen what the revenue stream from year one looks like, so they might adjust their businesss model based on those numbers, or allow AT&T to do the same. If it is a subsidized model and they make a compelling reason to get one I might upgrade mine, but I am still on the fence. 3G and GPS is no reason for me to do it really. We will get the software and access to the store for apps, I have an 8 gig but am still fine with the size (I don't need my phone to be a garbage dump). So I know I am one of those folks that will be waiting and watching. There is no way I will get a new one in the first month or two of its release. I want to see reviews and stats on what we lose to gain the few things we might get.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Well, I don't see it that really. Granted we got 100$ rebates for what that was worth, but remember we are now one year out. The new phone *in theory* will have a feature set that is superior to what we have now. Apple has been with AT&T and has seen what the revenue stream from year one looks like, so they might adjust their businesss model based on those numbers, or allow AT&T to do the same. If it is a subsidized model and they make a compelling reason to get one I might upgrade mine, but I am still on the fence. 3G and GPS is no reason for me to do it really. We will get the software and access to the store for apps, I have an 8 gig but am still fine with the size (I don't need my phone to be a garbage dump). So I know I am one of those folks that will be waiting and watching. There is no way I will get a new one in the first month or two of its release. I want to see reviews and stats on what we lose to gain the few things we might get.
Well only time will tell but the normal mobile phone purchase model involves subsidies from the operators who are really only interested in gaining new customers by sucking them in with huge phone discounts. This wont affect us here in Ireland as we pay a premium for everything but in larger countries like the USA and UK this may well be the way it goes. Especially if Apple want to make RIM the new Palm (dead in the water) of the businesss phone world.

Oh if it weren't for mere speculation!;)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
And it couldn't come soon enough.

As long as the battery life didn't decrease and there is at least 16 GB of memory then 22% thinner is awesome.

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
i think its not a full iPhone. I think its some nano iPhone....or a striped down iPhone....hey you never know.....6 days and counting...

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
I don't think its gonna be slimmer. Additional hardware (3G & GPS chip) Bigger or better battery, a rumored flash cam? Even if it was a tad bit chunkier it would bother me.

Yomon

Jul 12, 2007
I would rather see the new iPhone be the same size. I have large hands so making the phone thinner would make it hard for me to hold it to my head. Plus I would like to continue using my old case. But with this rumor of a flash on the camera it probably wouldn't work anyways. Oh well :/

Blah. I just got my 1st gen iPhone in April. This makes meh mad. >_>

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I have large hands so making the phone thinner would make it hard for me to hold it to my head.
I wouldn't say my hands are large, but I agree. I have long, skinny fingers and don't feel comfortable palming a naked iPhone. It feels much better with my case.

My only argument for a thinner iPhone would be to allow for a thicker case = better protection. But I would never use it naked. Way too slippery and thin. Nice. but too thin.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
too thin?

i don't see how a thinner phone (assuming all other things being equal) could be anything but good.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Agreed. The naked iPhone is a bit too slippery for my peace of mind.
Yeah, it's like a bar of soap! Keeps wanting to jump out of my hand. I finally went to a case and while the beauty of the naked iPhone is completely lost I can relax now. :laugh2:

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
Honestly I think the iPhone is thin enough right now as it is. Any thinner and I might break it while it is in my pocket!

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Agreed. The naked iPhone is a bit too slippery for my peace of mind.
I got a BSE on mine with the crystal film on the front. The grip is fantastic and I retain the naked look. A properly applied skin can last a long time (going on 5 months now) if you don't treat your phone like dirt. Skin still looks like new. Have you tried a skin?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I got a BSE on mine with the crystal film on the front. The grip is fantastic and I retain the naked look. A properly applied skin can last a long time (going on 5 months now) if you don't treat your phone like dirt. Skin still looks like new. Have you tried a skin?
Do you have a link? Sounds like just what I'd like to try. I really like my Incase but thought a couple rubber strips on the sides would be good enough to make me feel a lot more comfortable.