$250 Deposit for new customers

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

gt1948

Bronze
Jan 30, 2007
Memphis
Reading the ATT manual posted at BGR a deposit is required for new customers of ATT.....

Get it back in a year if your payments or good.

gurvy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Reading the ATT manual posted at BGR a deposit is required for new customers of ATT.....

wtf! why do i have to pay $250 if i have great credit. i cant see the att manual right now, but if someone can please copy and paste that on this thread, that would be great!

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC

You completely misunderstood the statement. You only pay a deposit if you fail the credit check. Pass=$0 deposit Fail=$150-750 deposit.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Those of you who are getting slapped with deposits have a great opportunity to get the phone OUT of contract as a GoPhone. It's more expensive but you can also just quit at any time. I'd do it, but there's no way I can fail a credit check.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Those of you who are getting slapped with deposits have a great opportunity to get the phone OUT of contract as a GoPhone. It's more expensive but you can also just quit at any time. I'd do it, but there's no way I can fail a credit check.

Are you sure anyone who qualifies for a deposit could choose this? I was under the impression that it is totally up to ATT who is eligible for pre paid meaning that onlly people with really bad ratings would get this option.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Any customer whose credit check indicates they require a deposit can refuse that deposit and choose a pick your plan option instead.

gt1948

Bronze
Jan 30, 2007
Memphis
You completely misunderstood the statement. You only pay a deposit if you fail the credit check. Pass=$0 deposit Fail=$150-750 deposit.
sela vie.....not what I read....

existing customer here so I won't worry about it. Thought for sure it said a deposit for non existing ATT customers. Even if you do a credit check....

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
sela vie.....not what I read....

existing customer here so I won't worry about it. Thought for sure it said a deposit for non existing ATT customers. Even if you do a credit check....

How does that makes sense? Credit checks and deposits are standard practice in the wireless industry, to make new customers with perfect credit pay a $250 deposit would be quite unorthodox and pointless.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
How does that makes sense? Credit checks and deposits are standard practice in the wireless industry, to make new customers with perfect credit pay a $250 deposit would be quite unorthodox and pointless.
I dunno about "pointless".....AT&T knows the demand behind this product. They could probably get away with it, honestly. Might slow the sales down a bit, but they could probably do it.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Yeah, you guys read it wrong. The exchange that includes '$250' is an imaginary exchange, showing what to say if the computer tells the rep that the customer needs to pay a deposit. For that matter, it wouldn't always be 250, that is just in this particular example.

gurvy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah, you guys read it wrong. The exchange that includes '$250' is an imaginary exchange, showing what to say if the computer tells the rep that the customer needs to pay a deposit. For that matter, it wouldn't always be 250, that is just in this particular example.
just called my local att store and they are not sure about this, but did say that if the rumor is true, be prepared to pay this amount. again, she was not sure if that is true or ust a rumor - wont know anything till tomorrow afternoon after they close the doors to prepare

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Ok, ill give a very easy reason why this makes no sense. EVERY new customer to AT&T who gets there iPhone at an Apple store would have to go to a AT&T store to pay the deposit, after opening their iPhone box and connecting it, that makes no sense. Not to mention, if they require a deposit, the person can opt out and select to get GoPhone, which would not be what AT&T would want.

Also, if you read the manual, on the pages about credit checks (read them all), I think they make it pretty clear that it is only needed from people that don't pass the pre-approval, not every one. It's all conditional statements, like 'if they require a deposit'.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

Got to read a little better than that. Only customers with questionable credit will be forced to pay a security deposit.

New customer with good credit = No problems:cool:

robert28

Jan 13, 2010
att deposit 100 perline with a credit score 519

i just got approved for att with a deposit of 100 per line ..whe just 3 months agoe i was denined with a deposit of 750 ..so i went through wirefly.com this time and somehow they got it for 100 and was able to port my sprint # so i hope this helps someone