27" iMac with regular hard drive + solid state drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by danbrumit, Mar 10, 2011.

1. danbrumit

danbrumit Member
    Bronze

I asked 2 Apple employees and they didn't know if a iMac with two hard drives one regular and one solid state, if the os could be installed on the solid state for faster loading.

Also could I by one with a regular hard drive and replace it with a 512 solid state aftermarket drive? And last question, can I install 2 aftermarket solid state drives. I didn't ask this second paragraph to the Apple guys.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

2. danbrumit

danbrumit Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the help

3. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Pretty sure that is what a lot of folks do. Have the SSD house the OS for faster boot times etc.

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

There are a few problems. First and foremost, replacing the hard drive in an iMac is NOT easy. It's not impossible, but you have to take the screen and a few other mounts off to do it.

Secondly, there's only one connection inside for a hard drive. Assuming you want to do it, you'd only be able to install one hard drive.

Thirdly, if you do that to a new iMac, I will technically void your Apple warranty.

5. danbrumit

danbrumit Member
    Bronze

The NEW iMacs can be ordered with two hard drives. One can be a serial? Ata? Regular hard drive. And one can be a solid state drive. Does anyone know, if ordering a machine like this. Will Apple put the os on the solid state drive?

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Oh, didn't know that. I'm sure Apple would install the OS on the SSD. Would be stupid to do otherwise.

7. ReeseyCup79

ReeseyCup79 Member
    Bronze

If u buy an iMac with one hard drive, can another be added if some models include 2? Or is that exclusive to a spacific iMac? Not that I need it at the moment, the solid state drives are very expensive yet it would be nice to kno if I could add another later on down the road.

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

unless you have the newest iMac revision, no, you can't. All the previous iMacs only have one hard drive bay.

9. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

Your going to spend a lot of money on an upgrade like that with Apple. Getting to the HDD is not that difficult at all chippo, I watched the Apple service tech who did mine twice. All you need is those suction cups to take your screen off. Then your right there at the HDD. However I do suppose if you do it yourself you would void warranty however if you had a problem you could just un do it.

10. ReeseyCup79

ReeseyCup79 Member
    Bronze

Are there any "void warranty" stickers getting to the hard drive?

11. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

Not to my knowledge. I mean you would only have to go back and do that if you needed to get something repaired through Apple. Well nevermind I take that back because if take it into Apple and they want to run some test on it they are going to see that you have 2 HDD's and they may raise some red flags. However I don't understand because my friend upgraded him memory from 4GB to 8GB via crucial and he took it into Apple and they never said anything about it I guess some things are just different that others?

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

upgrading memory is OK - it's a "do it yourself" fix per Apple. Anything that they give you instructions on how to do in the manual is fine.

Replacing the hard drive on an iMac is much more involved, and not considered a "do it yourself" fix.

13. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

Yeah your right on that one however it's not that hard to do it yourself it is a little more involved since you do need to remove the screen. I think you can get suction cups to take the screen off for a few bucks. You could even use a plunger.

14. ReeseyCup79

ReeseyCup79 Member
    Bronze

I seen a video of a guy that used a GPS holder with the suction cup to pull the glass off. Worked nicely. He wore nylon gloves to prevent finger print smudges inside the screen.