29 days, 40 days, or 69 days until deletion of photos in the Recently Deleted photo album?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Rafagon, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The Recently Deleted photo album has hitherto been quite straightforward. But now things have changed. I just noticed something that may or may not be new. There’s an explanation above the deleted photos that states, somewhat ambiguously, that

“Photos and videos show the days remaining before deletion. After that time, items will be permanently deleted. This may take up to 40 days.”

What the fudge?

Well, if the countdown to deletion says 29 days immediately after a photo is deleted (see screenshot below), why would it take “up to 40 days"? Which is it? 29? 40? or 29+40?

Is Apple trying to say that:

(a) The photo is deleted after 29 days, but remains recoverable through unofficial means like hacking for up to 10 days after that, and then becomes irreversibly deleted?

or

(b) The photo is deleted after 29 days, but remains recoverable through unofficial means like hacking for up to 40 days after those 29 days have elapsed, and then becomes irreversibly deleted?

or

(c) Something else?

WTF.png

#1 Rafagon, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

OOH NASTY! I DON'T LIKE THIS AT ALL!

If it's 29 days then that should be it. I have no idea what the heck this means. Apple got some splainin' to do!

I usually delete photos and then go into the Deleted Photos folder and permanently delete them. I haven't noticed the 40 day message lately. ---- Scratch that, I just checked and there it is! BLAST!!!

I permanently delete my photos so does this mean that my photos are still somewhere available to be recovered by any means? LOL!

Thinking more about this, possibly this is nothing to be alarmed about. Apple is probably just giving us all more time to decide if this is what we really want. LOL!!

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Just remember to delete them before an iCloud back up.

4. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Now hold on a minute.....Will the iCloud backup hold on to the pics.......NM I think I got it. LOL!!

I have not been diligent in deleting my photos B4 the iCloud backup but oh well. LOL!!

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I had not thought about deleting those before a back up. Got an email from Apple saying I was about out of iCloud storage space. There were 2 things causing that. Deleted photos and my TapaTalk app cache. It was over 1 gb. Facebook cache was high as well. I try to maintain my 5 free gb without purchasing more.

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Hats off my man! your managing 5GB of iCloud space! NICE!!

You're right, those forgotten deleted photos will take up space. With Apple giving us 40 days we all have to be diligent in permanently deleting these unwanted photos and videos.