3.0.1 question

Jun 21, 2009
San Francisco-ish
so I've been putting off the update for one reason. my phone is JB'd, but if I update, will I have to do it again? and if I do it again, do I have to re download all my extensions and apps and what-not?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
so I've been putting off the update for one reason. my phone is JB'd, but if I update, will I have to do it again? and if I do it again, do I have to re download all my extensions and apps and what-not?
Yes, you will most definitely need to jailbreak your iPhone again. Once you perform an update it kills the jailbreak. What I'd recommend is getting AptBackup in Cydia. This will perform an "inventory" of your current Cydia packages and then will go through and reinstall all the ones in the inventory.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Ok, I kinda figured I would have to, thanks for the info. How important would you say the update is?
I personally have yet to do it. The update was only to fix the SMS vulnerability, which I've never run across (apparently people were getting SMS texts with funky characters and replying back to them, like morons, and the hackers could "take over" your iPhone). My advice, you get that text, delete it! I've never seen it though.

I'll wait for a bigger update.