3.0 Has slowed my phone.

Jan 5, 2009
I tried asking this question over on the iPhone blog site and all I kept getting was people telling me how their phone was twice as fast and nothing wrong at all.

I downloaded the 3.0 software on Wednesday and ever since doing so my iPhone just can't keep up. It seems to take forever when opening "messages" and when I switch to landscape mode it takes longer than usual.

There are other noticeable differences with the phone since the upgrade too, one being that I have to tap sometimes 4-5 times on something to get it to open.

I have restored the phone and started all over as a new iPhone, I didn't back it up from anything and still have the same problems.

Does anyone know how I can go back to the old software?

I would appreciate any help:)

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
I think if u wanna downgrade the firmware i think all u gotta do is download the old firmware (2.2.1) off the web and connect your iPhone to your computer, open iTunes and hold shift while clicking restore. then chose the old firmware from your files and one its done, u'll have the old firmware on your phone. I'd recommend syncing and backing up your phone before doing this. good luck :)

Jul 14, 2008
I agree, 3G is a bit slower after upgrading. I also tried downgrading that way and it didn't work. After the entire process, I still had 3.0 on my phone.

Jan 5, 2009
I tried and failed, so I'm just gonna live with it for awhile.

I can't give up on my iPhone just yet:)

Jun 13, 2009
This was the main reason I upgraded to the 3GS. I put the GM 3.0 the week before the GS came out, and was really disappointed in how it made the 3G run.

Also there is a way to downgrade to 2.2.1, but it involves more than just a simple restore:

1) open iTunes
2) get iPhone in DFU mode
3) select restore iPhone (using the original 2.2.1 firmware, not the custom one)
4) let iPhone do the restart process until you get an ERROR message
5) close iTunes
6) open quickpwn. you will get a message saying to hold power and home for 15 seconds. do it exactly like that hold the power and home for 15 secs (*Note you aren't actually jailbreaking your phone, it is just a workaround method to downgrading from 3.0)
7) turn on iPhone by holding power button for 2 secs
8) open iTunes and iPhone will be recognized and ready to be activated

If you have any questions, let me know.