Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Beejive gives you push notifications and keeps you signed in for up to 24hous of inactivity, so if you check your buddy list or send an im atleast once a day, you stay fully logged in like a sidekick, etc.
yeah, palringo gives you push email notifications too. Too bad beejive is like $16 and does what palringo does for free.

What he means by push is actual push to the phone when you receive an IM, not just push email.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Running apps in the background (any one that you choose) would be great. I wonder how much of a battery drain it would be though. I imagine quite a bit.

Skol312000

Dec 8, 2008
N
Every other phone lets u run crap in the background, bb, win mo, symb. And some devices have alrigh batts. How does backgrounder app respect the batt?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Every other phone lets u run crap in the background, bb, win mo, symb. And some devices have alrigh batts. How does backgrounder app respect the batt?
My Bold allows you to run things in the background (like Skol said), and I leave 3G on all the time (because there's no way to turn it off), and WiFi and sometimes Bluetooth and the battery is phenomenal.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Maybe Apple could only permit apps to run in the background if they meet strict "background policies" to ensure they don't unnecessarily drain the battery. This would be a nice incentive for programmars to write more efficient code that knows how to go into a "sleep mode"

Just thinking out loud.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
Maybe Apple could only permit apps to run in the background if they meet strict "background policies" to ensure they don't unnecessarily drain the battery. This would be a nice incentive for programmars to write more efficient code that knows how to go into a "sleep mode"

Just thinking out loud.
When I started reading this thread, I was already formulating my posting to basicly say what you just said. I know you said you were "thinking out loud", but I wonder if you can get someone for plagiarism by "mind reading"? Huh? :laugh2:

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
When I started reading this thread, I was already formulating my posting to basicly say what you just said. I know you said you were "thinking out loud", but I wonder if you can get someone for plagiarism by "mind reading"? Huh? :laugh2:
No, but you can sue for "stealing thunder." :laugh2:

MR. HATTZ

Jan 31, 2009
BroNX, N.Y.
If your iPhone is jailbroken doesn't it have that feature to run apps in the backround? And i don't think it will kill the battery that much, just do other thing to help save battery life, like fetch emails every 30min instead of 15min and lower your screens light, etc!

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007

Just thinking out loud.
that would be awesome cause battery life is really the only problem I'd see with running apps in background

If your iPhone is jailbroken doesn't it have that feature to run apps in the backround? And i don't think it will kill the battery that much, just do other thing to help save battery life, like fetch emails every 30min instead of 15min and lower your screens light, etc!
true, but backgrounder isn't perfect and you can't leave them running for too long.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
I leave 3G on all the time (because there's no way to turn it off)...
Slightly OT: Isn't there at least two ways? SBSettings has a toggle and I think BossPrefs does too.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
Apple needs to do something to allow some applications to run. It's ridiculous that things like Pandora and iheartradio cannot run unless they are the only thing opened. It makes them less useful than they could be otherwise. I assume the next iPhone will have much more system memory than this current one has, assuming this rumor is correct.

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
One of the flippin reasons I bought my iPhone was because of push :eh:. False advertising, I should sue Apple.

I absolutely agree with some of you, either the jailbreak one needs improving or Apple allowing developers.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i think you guys are worrying too much about battery life. People have been Jailbreaking for over 18 months and installing background apps without hardly any impact on battery life. I think the real problem is that people will just go gung-ho with apps running, and really mess up the performance of the phone.

scottjf8

Silver
Aug 12, 2008
If you didn't know, you can already have this. You can go to http://mobile.aol.com/mobileHome and turn on Mobile AIM. I have this setup. So when I'm not "on" aim on my PC, it keeps me on, and IM's get sent to my cell via a text. If I want to respond to the person, I just reply to the text and it goes to that person.

So easy and so awesome.