3.0 Update: Read The Fine Print

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
i was just on Apple's site and saw a couple of things...

MMS-
MMS support from AT&T coming in late summer. MMS is not supported on first-generation iPhone. Sending video via MMS is not supported on iPhone 3G.

TETHERING-
Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries. See your carrier for availability

Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
They said that MMS wouldn't be available until "late summer" during the WWDC Convention, when they announced the availability date of 3.0, and unveiled the 3G-S

it's an AT&T issue.. Apple is ready to rock and roll...

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
It's At&T's fault not Apple's. Here in Canada Rogers is supposed to be offering all the features. If I ever can connect to Apple to finish the upgrade I can confirm.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
uh...i was under the impression that these things, especially MMS was ready to function at the time of update...that's why i'm saying to read the fine print...apple does a good job of posting features without posting the direct availability of the features...
No at WWDC they said 29 other countries will be ready for mms and 22 will be ready for tethering, but neither included AT&T. And they said for mms we would have to wait until later this summer. We have already had some AT&T bashing on at least the mms part since they have known about mms and tethering for 3 months!

blarghonk

Bronze
Apr 22, 2009
funny because i was told be 3 separate att employees that the 3g WOULD be able to do video. I thought they were wrong but they assured me it would be able to. grr.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
funny because i was told be 3 separate att employees that the 3g WOULD be able to do video. I thought they were wrong but they assured me it would be able to. grr.
It will not be able to send video, but I have been sent video which works. There's just no option to save or trim it.

Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
You could go into an AT&T store RIGHT NOW.. Today... and inquire about a 3G for $99, but make it contingent upon a NEW PHONE coming out..

they'll swear to you that no new phone is coming out on Friday, JUST to get you to buy that 3G TODAY...

don't believe ANYTHING that a Sales Rep in an AT&T store tells you... their job is to not let you leave that store, without buying SOMETHING..