3.1 and No Service

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
today while i was browsing the App Store on my phone, i abruptly lost service - No 3G, no EDGE, nothing. ATT is generally very reliable in my area, so initially i chalked it up to them playing with their network... then my friend came over with his v1 iPhone on 3.0, and he was getting normal EDGE reception.

first i restored from a backup. it activated, got an EDGE signal (no 3G) for about 30-60 seconds, then dropped.

so then i restored as a new phone, and the same thing happened.

anyone else having issues like this?

SirDVV

Bronze
Jul 20, 2009
I had that problem and it was solved restoring the network settings. try and tell us

SirDVV

Bronze
Jul 20, 2009
settings/general/restore/restore network settings

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Same problems here for an entire day. I'll see about "restore network settings" but with 3.1 it was same but my friend with an AT&T Blackberry had no problems.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
This is the reason I always wait a month before updating my firmware. I do think that this issue is rare because others would be posting here if it was widespread. Besides, I need to wait for the JB.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'm not entirely sure it was 3.1-related... especially since my phone worked perfectly normally for about 2 days before it happened (and has worked perfectly since).

bikerboy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Ohio, USA
Mine lose signal all the time, but I think AT&T isn't that reialable in this area :)

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
today while i was browsing the App Store on my phone, i abruptly lost service - No 3G, no EDGE, nothing. ATT is generally very reliable in my area, so initially i chalked it up to them playing with their network... then my friend came over with his v1 iPhone on 3.0, and he was getting normal EDGE reception.

first i restored from a backup. it activated, got an EDGE signal (no 3G) for about 30-60 seconds, then dropped.

so then i restored as a new phone, and the same thing happened.

anyone else having issues like this?
I am having the same issues and did the same that you have. At first I had no signal and now I have a signal but phone won't make calls or send texts. This is really starting to P me off and I am sick of restoring my phone and setting everything up again. I am not sure what else to do. Hopefully it's a hiccup with att or Apple and they will have it fixed soon.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Krunk, I would take your phone to Apple at this point.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I had the same problem while my BB Tour was still connected

Boomer

Sep 15, 2009
I've been having the same problems. I just bought it yesterday and it did it right out of the box. I have a buddy who has a 2g so we swapped our sim cards and then it was his phone that had the problem. So, I have to drive 70 miles to an ATT store to get a new sim card. I hope that fixes it otherwise I'm going to give the phone back and purchase an unlocked model and go with another carrier. I contacted Apple support and they ran me through restore a couple times, the software update, and decided it was either a hardware problem or a faulty simcard. ATM it points to the simcard but, we'll see.

DrDaveXIX

Sep 8, 2007
hmmmm my problem seems similar... if i go to restore network settings it works for about an hour then it just shuts my out.... after that no texts or calls coming in .... what is the problem here... i thought it had to do something with 3.1 or the carrier MMS fix that came out recently but anyone else who has done these changes had this same problem?

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Yes and no one knows the reason why.

Sep 11, 2009
mine is currently also loosing signal but my friend's isn't he said it would do that the first couple days of having one.

If i restart my iPhone the connection comes back, but I have to be using the internet/phone to know if my connection is gone thus any incoming calls don't work...

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Try turning off the 3G and just using edge. You should have no problems after that. You can thank att for that one.

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
3.1 seem to do some weird stuff with network . not give you no receiption.... but i mean mine was playing tricks on me! it didn't let me use edge that i use all the time. it when to grps from a decades ago i couldnt even go to google.com for god sake.

but network reset fixed it...

Sep 11, 2009
should I take mine to the Apple store for a look? or is this just whats going on right now?

My 3g will just stop working while at full bars, will not receive or make calls go on the internet, shut down is the only cure. But of course I can't do this until I realize this is happening and thus perhaps missing calls.

Today I switched to edge and my connection came back without having to restart the phone.