3 iPhone 3G Reviews are in

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Apple Insider highlights three reviews of the iPhone 3G from the Wall Street Journal, USA Today and the NY Times.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...views_via_the_wsj_usa_today_and_ny_times.html

Here are some highlights:

"Walt Mossberg | The Wall Street Journal
iPhone 3G "is much, much faster at fetching data over cellphone networks" than the original version.

"Surfing the net was typically between three and five times as fast on AT&T's 3G network. In Washington and New York, 3G speeds ranged between 200 and 500 kilobits per second compared to 70 and 150 kbps on EDGE.

"With 3G enabled, the iPhone 3G's battery drained much more quickly in a typical day of use than the battery on the original iPhone.

"Apple has greatly improved the iPhone's audio. The built in speaker is much louder for music and speakerphone conversations, but the phone produced an echo when used with the built-in Bluetooth system in Walt's car.

"Exchange ActiveSync works well and setup takes just minutes. Any changes made on the iPhone are reflected instantly in Microsoft Outlook. Email is also pushed to the phone instantly.

"A side benefit to 3G coverage is that it improves voice coverage: "At my neighborhood shopping center, where the first iPhone got little or no AT&T service, the iPhone 3G registered strong coverage."

"Edward Baig | USA Today
"No equal among consumer-oriented smartphones."

"Baig's corporate data (through Exchange) was a "relative cinch" to setup and works well.

"Most websites take 10 to 30 seconds to load through 3G, which is a lot faster than on EDGE (which often takes an extra 30 seconds or more).

"The phone feels "perfectly comfortable" in the hand courtesy of the plastic back.

"Apple confirms that the plastic should improve reception versus the original's aluminum.

"The journalist is "impressed" by the accuracy of GPS, but says the phone begs for voiced turn-by-turn directions.

"Audio quality is better overall, particularly the speakerphone; headphones are of course still better.

"Parental controls actually remove icons outright from the home screen; they don't just block access.

"You'll still want to charge the phone about once a day if used regularly.

"Old iPod accessories meant to charge over Firewire circuitry (such as a Belkin car kit) don't work; iPhone 3G still only recognizes USB.

"Overall: an "enthusiastic thumbs up."

"David Pogue | The New York Times
"The "gracefully curved" back feels better in the hand than the original iPhone.

"Call quality takes a "gigantic leap forward" and is "crystal clear" on either end of the call; few other phones rival it.

"Apple: the GPS receiver's antenna is too small to replicate turn-by-turn navigation of a full unit.

"Examples of third-party apps: iCall for VoIP calls over Wi-Fi, G-Park for position-based parking, and Urbanspoon for picking a random nearby restaurant by sharing the phone."

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
at it improves voice coverage: "At my neighborhood shopping center, where the first iPhone got little or no AT&T service, the iPhone 3G registered strong coverage."
Why would the 3G phone get better reception? I thought that was purely a AT&T coverage issue and had no possible link to the 3G network.

Thoughts?

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Why would the 3G phone get better reception? I thought that was purely a AT&T coverage issue and had no possible link to the 3G network.

Thoughts?
I'm guessing here, because I've just listed comments from the reviewers. Baig says (in the article) that "Apple confirms that the plastic should improve reception versus the original's aluminum."

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Ah....could be but I'm still a little skeptical.

3Guser

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
You have to charge it every day? Wow...well I guess its not too big of a deal. Someone I know said his V1 lasted a week on a charge maybe he does not use his much.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Pogue says that audio improvement is through the roof. Excellent.

- John

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
You have to charge it every day? Wow...well I guess its not too big of a deal. Someone I know said his V1 lasted a week on a charge maybe he does not use his much.
NO WAY it last a week its not possible. I use the internet a lot and im lucky to get a 1/2 day out of it. Full charge at 7am at 400pm im in the red.

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
"Old iPod accessories meant to charge over Firewire circuitry (such as a Belkin car kit) don't work; iPhone 3G still only recognizes USB.

I have a car kit that I use with my IPod 30Gig, does this mean I will have to buy a new kit? It's a kit that uses an FM transmitter.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas

I have a car kit that I use with my IPod 30Gig, does this mean I will have to buy a new kit? It's a kit that uses an FM transmitter.
I don't know but i have a i go car charger it works for my 30gb video ipod and my iPhone. With the igo you can change the tips out for ipod/iPhone, psp, 5pin usb, ds, cameras anything and everything the best charger if you have a lot of devices. I have had it for over a year and no problems.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
this battery issue is a major turnoff. and if you want to avoid such a crappy battery life, you'd have to use the option to switch to EDGE instead of 3g.

which in itself defeats the purpose of the iPhone 3g

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
this battery issue is a major turnoff. and if you want to avoid such a crappy battery life, you'd have to use the option to switch to EDGE instead of 3g.

That is true.

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008

I don't know what type of battery the iPhone has but as a PPC/Smart phone user (All with 3G, push email, etc) I can tell you that the battery life improves as you "cycle" it (charging/discharging). I remember when I first got my TILT (which I still use), the battery would last about a full day (8am-9pm). With about 1 hr talking total, 1 hour surfing the web, and auto-checking 2 email accounts every 30 min. I would be down to 20%. Now after almost more than 8 months, I get 1.5 days of use( of course charging on the second day). So Im a bit skeptical about this "old man" stating something which he has no knowledge about (electronic circuitry) or in this case chemistry, which is the basis of what a battery is.

Perplex

Silver
Jul 5, 2008
Columbus, GA
www.myspace.com
I think the comment maybe have been for the Lithium-battery, and not as much for the device itself. Just so you won't run out of full charge cycles, its good to top of the battery daily, and about every month or so, drain the battery, and give it a good full charge.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I hope people are satisfied with the audio improvement as that was definitely a huge concern for people with v1.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I don't know what type of battery the iPhone has but as a PPC/Smart phone user (All with 3G, push email, etc) I can tell you that the battery life improves as you "cycle" it (charging/discharging). I remember when I first got my TILT (which I still use), the battery would last about a full day (8am-9pm). With about 1 hr talking total, 1 hour surfing the web, and auto-checking 2 email accounts every 30 min. I would be down to 20%. Now after almost more than 8 months, I get 1.5 days of use( of course charging on the second day). So Im a bit skeptical about this "old man" stating something which he has no knowledge about (electronic circuitry) or in this case chemistry, which is the basis of what a battery is.
you made my day:)
but one question:
if that were true, why does battery life degenerate significantly after 300 charges?

toyotaisme

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
so cal

This is the same reason Im keeping my original iPhone. Battery is going to be a big issue.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
This is the same reason Im keeping my original iPhone. Battery is going to be a big issue.
QQ

I'm not buying all this "battery issue" talk. Battery life is one of the main reasons Apple didn't make the first iPhone a 3G capable phone. If they still thought it was a problem and that they couldn't build the phone with good battery life, they wouldn't have made this one 3G, either.

I'm fine with charging the phone every night. I don't even have a car charger and don't plan to get one, yet I don't anticipate any problems.