3 most annoying bugs in 1.1.1 - Any solutions?

bkai

Nov 26, 2007
Hi,

I love my new iPhone, but there are tons of bugs in the software still. Trying to find some fixes or at least trying to find out if there are any fixes yet seems impossible. There are thousand websites about iPhone but none is a reliable resource when it comes to the latest updates and fixes. (note: my phone is unlocked!)

My question: is there a bug for these 3 main annoyances:

1) I have several German and Australian phone numbers in my address book that use the +49 or +61 country code. The iPhone doesn't match these numbers with people calling me within this country. I saw there are some tricky file-replacement fixes but isn't there an easier way to get rid of this issue?

2) I user Gmail to collect my mail via POP. Several times I get this frustrating message "This message could not be downloaded from the server" (or similar). Some people told me about a workaround with 2 (or more) email accounts forwarding messages. What a horrible way to collect mails. Isn't there a better solution yet?

3) Is there a working (!) app that allows me to switch off Edge completely? I'm using the "Services" App by Chris Hoffman (V 0.6.7) but whenever I turn OFF edge it automatically turns itself back on after a few minutes. What can be done to turn edge off entirely?

If somebody know some reliable and current resource on these topics, please let me knowh: new apps, new bugfixes, new official updates etc.

Where can I find out if/how I can update my (jailbroken) firmware from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2?

Thanks!
Kai

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
1. Update to 1.1.2 there is built in support for German, which I would assume would fix the phone issue.

2. Change your gmail to IMAP. There are posts on this, search.

3. I have "seen" an app called iToggle and it does what you are asking.

4. Your upgrading your "jailbroken" 1.1.1 phone to 1.1.2 has also been covered to the point of needing to puke. Search.

Your welcome!
Doby

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Use IMAP for Gmail = No problems.

iToggle works great and can turn off EDGE and the phone itself. It seems to work fine for me so I'd recommend giving it a go. http://web.newsguy.com/marcio/iPhone/ is the link for it. Or you can add the MMI source to installer and it's in there.

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
1. Update to 1.1.2 there is built in support for German, which I would assume would fix the phone issue.

4. Your upgrading your "jailbroken" 1.1.1 phone to 1.1.2 has also been covered to the point of needing to puke. Search.

Your welcome!
Doby

YOU CAN'T USE iTOGGLE WITH FW 1.1.2!

bkai

Nov 26, 2007

Your welcome!
Doby
1) Are you sure this will fix the "number matching" problem? This is not necessarily langauge-related but seems to be a problem with US numbers (that have country codes) too...

2) ok, i'll try this out thanks

3) iToogle has caused iPhones to stop working properly. There a numerous posts in this forum. Is there any other app that works reliably and doesn't damage my iPhone?

4) I tried to find an easy tutorial that explains an easy way to update from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 but I couldn't find one. Most of them use hacker langauge I don't understand *sorry*... any suggestions as to where I can find an easy step by step description?

bfakhroo

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
3) Is there a working (!) app that allows me to switch off Edge completely? I'm using the "Services" App by Chris Hoffman (V 0.6.7) but whenever I turn OFF edge it automatically turns itself back on after a few minutes. What can be done to turn edge off entirely?
there's an app called services that works great on 1.1.1

bkai

Nov 26, 2007
there's an app called services that works great on 1.1.1

mmh.. well as you can read in the quoted text I do use "services" which doesn't really work at all. It switches edge off temporarily (2 min?!) and the next time I open "Mail" it will tell me that it can't find a working edge connection...and the "E" icon shows up at the top bar on my iPhone again. So it's not really turned off...

bfakhroo

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
mmh.. well as you can read in the quoted text I do use "services" which doesn't really work at all. It switches edge off temporarily (2 min?!) and the next time I open "Mail" it will tell me that it can't find a working edge connection...and the "E" icon shows up at the top bar on my iPhone again. So it's not really turned off...
i'm using it and it works fine.. the E icon does show up but when i try to open safari or email i get "could not activate EDGE. you are not subscribed to EDGE"

bkai

Nov 26, 2007
Yeah, but that's exactly what I mean. I want to get rid of this message and turn edge off COMPLETELY. No more annoying messages and no more battery waste on edge... possible?

bfakhroo

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Yeah, but that's exactly what I mean. I want to get rid of this message and turn edge off COMPLETELY. No more annoying messages and no more battery waste on edge... possible?
well i'm not sure.. if i find anything helpful i'll tell you

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
1) Are you sure this will fix the "number matching" problem? This is not necessarily langauge-related but seems to be a problem with US numbers (that have country codes) too...

2) ok, i'll try this out thanks

3) iToogle has caused iPhones to stop working properly. There a numerous posts in this forum. Is there any other app that works reliably and doesn't damage my iPhone?

4) I tried to find an easy tutorial that explains an easy way to update from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 but I couldn't find one. Most of them use hacker langauge I don't understand *sorry*... any suggestions as to where I can find an easy step by step description?

Where are the posts about iToggle? I did a search on the forums and only came up with this. I've been using iToggle to turn on and off SSH (I haven't tried EDGE or the phone yet but I guess it's good I didn't). Can you point me to the posts?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Nevermind I found the post on MMI. Looks like it's a good thing I didn't try and turn the phone off using it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Nevermind I found the post on MMI. Looks like it's a good thing I didn't try and turn the phone off using it.
My iPhone got stuck on the Apple logo (with the spinning wheel showing). Not sure if it was iToggle or something else I was playing around with, but the iPhone was totally unresponsive.

Right before I was going to restore, which I really didn't have time for, I tried getting in via SSH and was able to fix the problem in under a minute. I was just glad I hadn't turned SSH (or WiFi) off beforehand.

Oh yes, iToggle 1.0.5 seems to work well. (No "Phone" option present on 1.1.2, without having to edit anything.)

--
Mike

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
Thanks Tinman, I had not seen anything reporting iToggle was bad for 1.1.2, but I also do not frequent MMI.