30-pin adapter - no iPod out!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
The 30-pin adapter being sold by Apple for the iPhone 5 to mate with old adapters does NOT support iPod out...which means that connectors like the ones in your cars will not be able to read the info and post it on your dash units like they currently do. So mad.

May 5, 2011
I am too. I think it also won't let you control it with you car ( ie steering wheel volume and skip tracks) which is what I really want for safety.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
It depends on how the car integrates with the iPod. "iPod out" is a feature where the iPod itself draws the UI and sends it out to the car as analog video to the whole screen. Looks similar to an iPod classic UI but with a dark background. It requires a special cable/connector that carries the video signal from the device to the car, and a screen that is capable of displaying video. Analog video is not supported with the new connector, so the adapter doesn't do it. If your car just retrieves the iPod's database or currently playing track info/album art to display in its own user interface, that will still work, because it can still talk to the iPod over USB or serial and get all that info.

May 5, 2011
Just tested with a friend's phone and it does work on my iMIV Classic iPod player for Volvo. Volume and skip tracks functions work from the car. It charges too.
It's odd that iMIV support specifically told me it would not work rather than that they didn't know.