30 Pin Adapter Not Compatible with iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by bballrob, Sep 23, 2013.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

This morning I was trying to play a YouTube video on an HD Television by plugging an Apple manufactured 30 Pin to lightning into my iPhone 5S and I got a message that said "This accessory is not compatible with this iPhone."

Anyone run into this issue?

Sent using iCafe app

2. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

If you're trying to hook up the 30-pin digital A/V adapter to the 30-pin to Lightning adapter, that won't work. Lightning doesn't carry the video signals that the old adapter needs. You'll need the $50 Lightning to HDMI adapter if you want to hook directly up to a TV.

Unfortunately, Apple kind of regressed video out support when they went to Lightning. Instead of having HDMI signals that pass straight through to the HDMI cable, the new adapter is a computer which decodes an AirPlay video stream sent to it by the phone over USB. This is lower quality, because there isn't as much bandwidth. The maximum resolution this combination supports is 1600x900 up sampled to 1920x1080. Compression artifacts out the wazoo, too. I don't know whether the limitation is in the phone or in the adapter. It would seem the latter, since it's a small ARM CPU in there.

I wouldn't recommend bothering with the $50 adapter when a wireless AirPlay stream (to Apple TV or AirServer, for instance) produces a better picture (and can in fact reach 1920x1080, for some reason, while it does not on USB). The only problem with wireless airplay is the latency, but that's fine for video playback.

3. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

4. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

In regards to the lightning to hdmi adapter will it play media files of all kinds if I use a third party app?

Unlike Apple TV only lets mp4

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

5. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

If the app supports video output to an external display. Do you have an Apple TV or AirServer? Try AirPlaying the app to it. If it works, it'll output the video to the AirPlay stream. You'll see an AirPlay icon/button somewhere on the video player, and it'll change the screen to say the video is playing on the TV.

Downcast:
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1380014540.315222.jpg

VLC:
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1380015020.862102.jpg

If it does that, it'll most likely work with Lightning to HDMI.

6. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Yes I have an Apple TV

Any other third party apps that you know which will stream VOB properly even if I have to pay for it?

I have media player, and a couple others but the video is laggy.

I'm trying to avoid using airvideo server cause I only have a laptop and don't want another device to be on.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk