30-pin to Lightning Connector Issue

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iPhoneFan10

Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
I received my order of three (3) 30-pin to Lightning connectors via UPS today. I purchased three for use in my two vehicles to connect to my Belkin audio cable and the third for our in-home speaker system..

The problem arises with my Otterbox Defender case. The way it is designed, the 30-pin to Lightning connector will not connect to the iPhone 5 if it is inside the Otterbox case.. Thus, because I use my Belkin audio cable to play Pandora or iTunes Match songs while I am driving, this new development is a FAIL!

I had to return my Otterbox case today in favor of a case that allowed my 30-pin to Lightning connector to fit.. I love the Otterbox cases but I can't do without my tunes in the car..

Just an FYI for those using the Otterbox defender case and the new 30-pin to Lightning adapter..

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
There are 2 different adapters. One is the small stubby adapter & the other is .2m long that looks like the lightning cable except its the 30 pin on one end instead of USB. That's probably what you need.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Good thing I saw this thread. I just cancelled my order, I would've had the same problem with my candyShell.

iPhoneFan10

Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Good thing I saw this thread. I just cancelled my order, I would've had the same problem with my candyShell.
Yeah, I went back to Best Buy yesterday to look at alternative cases. I brought along my 30-pin to Lightning adapter to test on the different cases.

It turns out that the vast majority of cases that Best Buy sells will not work with the 30-pin to Lightning adapter. Only those cases where the bottom of the case is completely exposed (meaning full access to the Lightning port 1/2" from each side of center) will work with the new adapter.

However, with that said, I took the advice of the suggestion above and ordered the longer adapter with cable (as shown in a post above) to solve my problem. I wish I hadn't ordered three (3) adapters to begin with as I only need one (1) regular adapter and two (2) cabled adapters.. Live and learn..

It should be noted that Apple sells the uncabled adapter for $29 + tax/S&H while the cabled adapter is $10 more (I paid $44.82 just for one cabled adapter).. The cabled adapters are also a 2-3 week delivery time from now..

{StatuSChecKa}

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2010
NorCal
Nearly all cases will have a problem with that small adapter. I'm not sure how much of that Lightning chip needs to be inside the phone to get a good connection.
That Long cord is boss though, i may buy one.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Not super pleased that I need to take off my case for it to connect to the adapter to use my alarm dock. I am on my 3rd case and I think I'll face the same issue with UAG case that I am waiting to order next week. May be time to stop using the alarm dock and keep using the alarm function on the phone and get more cables.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Not super pleased that I need to take off my case for it to connect to the adapter to use my alarm dock. I am on my 3rd case and I think I'll face the same issue with UAG case that I am waiting to order next week. May be time to stop using the alarm dock and keep using the alarm function on the phone and get more cables.
Have you considered the 0.2 m adapter that Apple sells? I just ordered one yesterday. It said it would be 2-3 weeks for shipping, but it shipped from Hong Kong today. Kinda expensive, but it will eliminate the need to remove your case. You could return your current adapter at an Apple store.

Screen Shot 2012-10-12 at 10.56.56 PM.png

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Have you considered the 0.2 m adapter that Apple sells? I just ordered one yesterday. It said it would be 2-3 weeks for shipping, but it shipped from Hong Kong today. Kinda expensive, but it will eliminate the need to remove your case. You could return your current adapter at an Apple store.

View attachment 25750
I like for the phone to sit upright in the dock, although I may consider this other adapter as an alternative for my wife's vehicle.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I have an iPhone 4S and an ipad mini. I don't want to carry around two cables and I would prefer to carry around the lightning cable rather than the bulky 30 pin one. Plus I'd rather keep the lightning cable plugged into the wall and add an adapter for my 4s.

I don't want an adapter to plug into my ipad. I want an adapter to plug into my iPhone 4s.

Does such an animal exist or is it impossible?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've always thought this would have been a great option as well and I would have bought one. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't make this.

Jerome G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2010
I don't get it. Why can't you just use the lightning cabe with the 30 pin adapter ? Is the 30 pin really that much more bulky ? You need a 30 pin somewhere in the equation anyhow.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't get it. Why can't you just use the lightning cabe with the 30 pin adapter ? Is the 30 pin really that much more bulky ? You need a 30 pin somewhere in the equation anyhow.
We can; we're just saying it would be convenient to have a reverse adapter. Apple has switched to Lightning for all the new products, but some of us who have held onto one of the older devices could get rid of all of our 30 pin cables if this product existed.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Maybe something like the generic laptop power supply adapters. The ones with multiple tips? Snap on the 30 pin when needed or the lightning 'head' when that one is needed. ?
It kinda makes sense in my head at least. Lol