30GB Zunes Failing En Masse

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
http://www.macrumors.com/2008/12/31/30gb-zunes-failing-en-masse/

MacRumors said:
There have been multiple reports that Microsoft's 30GB Zune MP3 players around the world have been freezing up today. A Gizmodo reader reports:
Apparently, around 2:00 AM today, the Zune models either reset, or were already off. Upon when turning on, the thing loads up and... freezes with a full loading bar (as pictured above). I thought my brother was the only one with it, but then it happened to my Zune. Then I checked out the forums and it seems everyone with a 30GB HDD model has had this happen to them

The issue has been reported on Zune support forums as well.

The issue seems to be related to the latest firmware and some suspect it could have to do with the impending new year change. There is no known cure at this time.
If it really is because of the New Year change, thats pathetic. How hard is it to get the device to change the year without the device freezing up? Tons of other electronics do it every year...

Either way, this is pretty bad for Microsoft :p

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, I read about that earlier today. Apparently it's because some line of code has the Zune check what day of the year, making sure that it is not over the 365th - today's the 366th day of the year, which made the things flip out.

Maybe this will encourage Steve Ballmer to give up and get an iPod.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
wow, i can't believe every single Zune 30 froze. All 10 Zune users must be mad.
Sadly, I am one of those 10. What's slightly amazing to me is that MS' response so far seems to be "it'll be alright tomorrow". Thanks for that.

I've been gradually getting more and more music for iTunes / iPhone - if MS doesn't show a little greater response (like offering everyone 8 free Xbox 360s or something) my Zune days might be numbered ...

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Ahhh, craprosoft.... I need to thank you actually, because of you I have seen the light and gone Apple! Its just par for the course with them.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
and they wanna make a Zune phone... yeah right.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
i remember when the first zune came out. i wanted to trade my ipod video 30g to get one of those.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I haven't talked to the one person I know with a Zune. Maybe it will convince him to iPod.

Yes. It is now possible to iPod.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i had a customer come in with one today... i got a good chuckle out of it.

for reference, the official response from microsoft is to let the battery drain (there is no way to reset it), and hook it up again after 12 noon on 1/1/09 (so any time now) and it should work fine. Don't know how well it works yet...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
i had a customer come in with one today... i got a good chuckle out of it.

for reference, the official response from microsoft is to let the battery drain (there is no way to reset it), and hook it up again after 12 noon on 1/1/09 (so any time now) and it should work fine. Don't know how well it works yet...
That worked with mine. It was back alive a few hours ago via that method. It played about 10 tracks, then decided all were falling foul of DRM - had to resync it with PC, now all cheerful again - presumably until we hit a month that doesn't end in 'y' or some other bizarre time and date phenomenen that is beyond the power of the Swoon :(

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Compared to the cost of rushing out a patch for a circumstance that will not happen again for another 4 years (and by that time, the damn thing'll be dead anyway), I don't see that they could have done anything other than say "yeah, just wait a day and turn it back on...sorry bout that"

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, as long as it is corrected in the next firmware update, i don't think there's much more they should do.