32GB or 64GB iPad (4thGen)?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Geo, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Geo

Geo Member
    Bronze

Hi,
    I have just sold my iPad 2 which was useful, helpful, and used primarily as movie/video device and some music (while reading), so I was reading as well.
    32gb was ok, and I never had any problems with going over that amount of space.

The question is should I opt for a few more bucks and get the 64gb model ( Iam thinking I will keep this iPad 4 for a lot longer this time).
    Should I remain with the 32GB model?

Geo

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Go to Settings > General > About. What's your current storage usage? I was thinking of returning my 64GB iPad for a 32GB iPad + 4G LTE. I've got 35GB available, so I'm already using almost half of my storage. Makes sense for me to have 64GB.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Geo

Geo Member
    Bronze

Opps, i cannot do that, cause it is already in the mail to the new buyer (just sold it). But I know from being connected to iTunes, and the gauge at the bottom of the screen, that It rarely went over the half way mark.
    ((This sparks another question, about is it really able to be a laptop replacement?))

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think that warrants a new thread as I'm sure there will be plenty of viewpoints.

6. Geo

Geo Member
    Bronze

mmm?

7. aknightstale41

Gold

This 4th generation is the last ipad upgrade i will ever need, its current with the lightning connector and retina display, and there just isn't any other improvement in the future that could entice me to upgrade for quite some time....except one thing, 128 gig memory, for my videos, audiobooks and music, but i really don't see that happening anytime soon.

8. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

I just sold my iPad 2 16GB and went to the iPad 4 with 64. I had owned a first generation iPad and sold it after a year as it was primarily a toy for me. I never really found a niche for it in my work life or for my travel. It was a novelty. I wemt without a tablet for a while just using first a netbook and then a laptop. Wanting to get back in to a tablet, I looked to the Kindle fire as ebooks were a primary use for the iPad when I had it.

Quickly coming back to the realization that the Kindle just wasn't what I was looking for, I purchased the 2 on a whim and for whatever reason, it took hold. Suddenly, it had become my primary travel internet appliance. I travel quite a bit for work and began taking it along and it even found a very useful place in my work life for it housing documents, spreadsheets and presentations along with my movies and games to keep me occupied. Once that happened, 16 was no where near enough and it was always within a gig of full. I found myself having to delete something every time I wanted to add anything. This of course began limiting it's utility because I would find productivity apps that I wanted to use but hesitated to install them as it would take away just a little more capacity.

A week ago I made the decision while away on vacation to sell my 2 and purchase a newer, larger capacity device. I looked at the refurbished 3, the iPad Mini and the 4th Generation iPad. In the end, the 4 won out and while I considered the 32 GB unit, my lesson from the 2 was stuck in my mind and I elected to future proof my purchase as much as I could and went with the newest generation and largest capacity I could. I haven't regretted my decision one bit. While I haven't filled my new available capacity, after only a week I have easily passed 20GB of content and expect that trend to continue. I'm very happy with my decision. If you can afford the extra money, I would recommend the 64 simply based on my experience

• Like Like x 1
  9. raqball

raqball Zealot
    Silver

It's always best to get the most amount of storage that you can afford..

Unless you are me.. I have never needed more than 16GB and when I had my Nexus 7 it was only the 8GB version and I was not even close to filling it up..

You can use cloud storage and save a lot of device space that way..

But the general rule of thumb is to get the maximum amount of storage that you can afford.. That way, there is no regrets later..