$399 iPhone 3G S Still Better Option Than Unsubsidized

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
My upgrade pricing doesn't kick in until December. For me, it'll be $399 for the 16GB iPhone 3G S, but that also includes an extra year of AT&T. If I break my contract with AT&T sometime in the next 2 years, I'll have to pay $200 (possibly less if/when they prorate). That puts me at the $599. If I buy it unsubsidized, I'm basically giving AT&T my contract break fee.

I'm going to opt for the $399 price. If I break the contract, I'm at $599. If were to opt for the unsubsidized, it would mean a cost of $799 if I were to break my contract sometime in the next year. Not worth it.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
My upgrade pricing doesn't kick in until December. For me, it'll be $399 for the 16GB iPhone 3G S, but that also includes an extra year of AT&T. If I break my contract with AT&T sometime in the next 2 years, I'll have to pay $200 (possibly less if/when they prorate). That puts me at the $599. If I buy it unsubsidized, I'm basically giving AT&T my contract break fee.

I'm going to opt for the $399 price. If I break the contract, I'm at $599. If were to opt for the unsubsidized, it would mean a cost of $799 if I were to break my contract sometime in the next year. Not worth it.
The key message here is preserving the option to quit AT&T before the contract is completed. Are you anticipating that Apple will release an iPhone to other US carriers within two years, and you may want to jump?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Chris, you know you don't have to have ALL of the new toys out right?
:)
Did you just meet Chris? :p

That's a very interesting point there, Chris, and one I haven't seen spelled out like that anywhere else. You should tweet it. :laugh2:

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
In the words of the Joker: "Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"

Tweeting that is a great idea, a lot of people might look at the situation a little differently. Myself included!

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
In the words of the Joker: "Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"

Tweeting that is a great idea, a lot of people might look at the situation a little differently. Myself included!
Nemss316, you have to tell me where you go that.gif. Awesome!

Found it :)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Good point, Chris. I'll keep this in mind if AT&T decides to screw up and charge me $399. I concur on the tweeting.