3D Print Lab to create replica of dead man’s finger in order to unlock his iPhone

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Charlies_Angels_2_fake_print_maker.jpg

This one reads like a story from a science fiction book. Well, maybe not now in 2016, but it would have, ten or fifteen years ago.

A murder victim’s phone may provide clues about his homicide. But his finger is apparently in too decayed a state to unlock the phone. So the police are taking an interesting route: they are asking a 3D print lab to create a replica of the dead man’s finger.

“But what about an artificial finger’s lack of conductivity?” you ask.

According to MacRumors, “Engineers coated the printed fingers in a thin layer of metallic particles so that the fingerprint scanner can read them.”

You can read the rest of the macabre story here.

Last edited:

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
A murder victim’s phone may provide clues about his homicide. But his finger is apparently in too decayed a state to unlock the phone. So the police are taking an interesting route: they are asking a 3D print lab to create a replica of the dead man’s finger.
It's will be fascinating if it works, but IMO enters the "slippery slope" realm of things. The article suggests the technology would be applied in the case of a murder victim. It also suggests "the authorities could use it on cases involving living suspects by applying for a court order." I'm sure a court order will always be applied for in such theoretical cases >cough cough< ;)

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
This will all be irrelevant as we move to retina scan and other methods
Not necessarily.

I know the following willl sound just a tad bizarre, but humor me for a minute: Let’s say that in 50 years, fingerprint identification has been supplemented by retinal scanning as a secondary biometric, and smartphones have retina scanners instead of fingerprint readers. So police departments (and driver license offices) begin storing people’s retina scans as well as their fingerprints.

Then one day an individual is tortured, his fingerprints are burned off using hydrofluoric acid by the torturer, and he is enucleated before finally being murdered and then his corpse is dumped in a forest.

The body, badly decomposed, is eventually found. At that point, the police need to unlock his smartphone using his retina scan (since, as I’ve said, phones no longer have fingerprint readers at that point). But since the murderer, had removed the victim’s eyeballs, an eyeball is printed on a 3D printer and the retina scan (from records) is applied to the artificial eyeball, thereby allowing the unlocking of the iPhone, and possibly leading to the solving of the murder.

Last edited:

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Not necessarily.

I know the following willl sound just a tad bizarre, but humor me for a minute: Let’s say that in 50 years, fingerprint identification has been supplemented by retinal scanning as a secondary biometric, and smartphones have retina scanners instead of fingerprint readers. So police departments (and driver license offices) begin storing people’s retina scans as well as their fingerprints.

Then one day an individual is tortured, his fingerprints are burned off using hydrofluoric acid by the torturer, and he is enucleated before finally being murdered and then his corpse is dumped in a forest.

The body, badly decomposed, is eventually found. At that point, the police need to unlock his smartphone using his retina scan (since, as I’ve said, phones no longer have fingerprint readers at that point). But since the murderer, had removed the victim’s eyeballs, an eyeball is printed on a 3D printer and the retina scan (from records) is applied to the artificial eyeball, thereby allowing the unlocking of the iPhone, and possibly leading to the solving of the murder.
Irrelevant, in 50 years Siri would have gained true AI and will be able to look at your through the 3D camera and listen to you and recognize you much like your mother would recognize you and unlock your phone :D