3D Touch Turns Your 6s Into A Trackpad

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
Oh God. This would be HUGE for me. I said I was not jumping on this upgrade, that I was going to stretch my iPhone 6 use until the iPhone 7 was released. But this feature really falls right in my wheelhouse. Must... resist... urge...

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I was excited for the idea of the two finger trackpad on the iPhone which got taken out, but I think this seems like a much more error-proof way to do it. Two fingers could accidentally activate the trackpad feature when you're typing fast enough, but this is a more distinct intent. I think I'll like it.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
This is as cool as I thought it was going to be. It works like a dream. Lighten up the touch, then press harder to select, continue dragging to select more. Pretty sweet.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I can get it to move the cursor to a different spot, but how do you get it to select a group of text after that? I was able to do it once, but I'm not sure how I did it.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
The trick is lift your finger after peeking (i.e. back out of the "peek" range--it'll stay in trackpad mode as long as you're still touching the screen). When you want to start selecting, press harder again (back into the "peek" range) briefly, then release the peek (still with your finger on) and move your finger to the range you want to select. If you didn't mean to go into select mode, "peek" again and it'll toggle back to cursor mode.

Might take some practice to get used to it but I've already used it to correct parts of my text in the beginning or middle. It saves so much time.

I can post a video if that'll help

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
The trick is lift your finger after peeking (i.e. back out of the "peek" range--it'll stay in trackpad mode as long as you're still touching the screen). When you want to start selecting, press harder again (back into the "peek" range) briefly, then release the peek (still with your finger on) and move your finger to the range you want to select. If you didn't mean to go into select mode, "peek" again and it'll toggle back to cursor mode.

Might take some practice to get used to it but I've already used it to correct parts of my text in the beginning or middle. It saves so much time.

Post a video; I'm having trouble as well!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Thanks! I got it on the first try after adjusting the pressure.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

I found this little trick as well. Don't press any harder, just relax your finger a wee bit and press again.