3G better Speakerphone? Volume? Vibrate?

Jul 23, 2007
Speakerphone, ear volume and vibrate alert are three weak points for me in the original iPhone. Have these been significantly improved? or even improved at all?

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
Speakerphone, ear volume and vibrate alert are three weak points for me in the original iPhone. Have these been significantly improved? or even improved at all?
I've only tried the Speakerphone when I was able to play with one at the store and the speakerphone is much better. It's the main reason I'm getting the phone, so I can actually hear people when they call me.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
my speaker phone and ear volume are leaps and bounds better than my v1, but the vibrator is the same.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
I've only tried the Speakerphone when I was able to play with one at the store and the speakerphone is much better. It's the main reason I'm getting the phone, so I can actually hear people when they call me.

it is not loud at all.. SLIGHTLY improved but volume is still very low.... I suggest you go to the Apple store to test it out yourself.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
My experience is that Steve did not lie when he promised us dramatically improved audio. As for the vibrate, it certainly isn't better... sometimes I think it might even be worse. Mine (and this is my second one that has behaved this way) doesn't seem to vibrate the same everytime; sometimes it feels a little stronger, but more erratic, like something is loose that shouldn't be. Most of the time, it's just that gentle iPhone buzz whispering, "Excuse me... I don't want to interrupt you... there is someone trying to call... but, you know, I can just take a message.."

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
either you guys are always in places that is quiet because it is certainly not loud at all. I wish it was Sony Ericsson phones type volumes

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Volume is a lot louder with my 3G. I had to do the speaker mod with my old v1 iPhone, but I'm really satisfied with the volume on my 3G. Vibrate, I dunno, seems the same.

eric325

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Not good enough when you are outdoor. Need minimum 3 level of increase in volume at least.

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
either you guys are always in places that is quiet because it is certainly not loud at all. I wish it was Sony Ericsson phones type volumes
I tried it at the Apple Store first, and those are always pretty loud inside. I was able to hear. Then I tried it in the AT&T Store while waiting in line to place my Direct Fulfillment. It's much better than the original iPhone's volume. The original iPhone shouldn't even be classified as a phone since you couldn't hear crap with it.

I've yet to try it out in other areas though, such as car, job sites. So I'll leave that up to other members to answer since they have one in hand right now.

And I'm only referring to speakerphone. I never put the phone up to my ear, so not sure if that has improved.

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Volume is a lot louder with my 3G. I had to do the speaker mod with my old v1 iPhone, but I'm really satisfied with the volume on my 3G. Vibrate, I dunno, seems the same.
speaker mod? please help me out with this, i would LOVE to turn the volume up on this. i cant even heard my dad (speakes loud) when i on speakerphone in my car driving down the road. for that matter, not even at the house, on my patio. :mad:

steelcut

May 27, 2008
it is not loud at all.. SLIGHTLY improved but volume is still very low.... I suggest you go to the Apple store to test it out yourself.
BS! i just had my 2G and a friends 3G side by side: the 3G ist twice as loud.. i need one asap.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
speaker mod? please help me out with this, i would LOVE to turn the volume up on this. i cant even heard my dad (speakes loud) when i on speakerphone in my car driving down the road. for that matter, not even at the house, on my patio. :mad:
Look through this.

Last edited by a moderator:

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
we were typing the same time you posted so i deleted what was up..

poke holes? haha.. yeah right. have you looked into the speaker for the ear and the one at the bottom? tinyest holes i have ever seen.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
we were typing the same time you posted so i deleted what was up..

poke holes? haha.. yeah right. have you looked into the speaker for the ear and the one at the bottom? tinyest holes i have ever seen.
Well the original post you quoted said V1, so I assumed you had a V1 - this mod obviously won't work on a 3G

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
that was my bad then.

so is there anything for the 3g?

KathyDave

Jul 21, 2008
My iPhone 3g is going back - can't hear the voice mail on the speaker at all - I have to put my blue tooth on to hear anything from voice mail.

Jul 23, 2007
BS! i just had my 2G and a friends 3G side by side: the 3G ist twice as loud.. i need one asap.
Twice as loud? That's great news! Seems like the concensous is speakerphone is better. Was the 2G speaker modified by any chance?

What about the ear piece volume, is that improved?

williamrob42

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Speaker Phone, volume and ring is much better sound!

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Jobs said "improved" audio. Yes, it's improved. Very slightly louder than a stock V1, but about the same as a "ported" V1. Ported being the needle poke method on the speaker to break out the dust screen and let the audio through better. Now that really worked!

But improved, from what I have compared and listened to on both my phones, basically means sound quality. The 3G is incredibly much more clear at full speaker volume.

So ya, dramatically improved but no dramatically louder.