3G chip in chrome bezel

Jul 14, 2008
I unboxed my brand new black 16gb tonight (only 4 hours in line at the Apple Store :eek:) and find something like a chip in the lower left hand edge of the chrome bezel:(. It looks more like the chrome finish just wasn't evenly applied at that edge. It doesn't look like damage from being dropped or mishandled (and no, I did not drop it).

Frankly, I don't really want to go through the hassle of an exchange (plus my screen looks just fine, and I'm more concerned about that). I'm just concerned that if it gets worse in a couple of weeks Apple will contend I dropped or damaged the phone and then I'm stuck.

Anyone have a similar experience or any advice?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
If it bothers you, take it back immediately, or as soon as possible so they don't deny it and say its your fault.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
If there's even a question that you might be unhappy with it I'd take it back sooner than later like Savio suggested. Why are you intent on holding on to this one when it looks like the chrome wasn't applied evenly?

The exchange process is much easier than the initial purchase process. All you have to do is make an appointment with the Genius Bar online, go to the store, meet with an associate and walk out of there with a brand new unblemished phone in about 20 minutes. I've done it already and it's quite painless.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Agree with the two above ^^^

If it were me, it'd be headed straight back to the store.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Hey Indy does your T-Mobile contract countdown automatically update daily in your sig? I noticed yesterday it was 150.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Hey Indy does your T-Mobile contract countdown automatically update daily in your sig? I noticed yesterday it was 150.
Nah, I wish!

I have to manually update my sig everyday. From time to time I forget though and I'll have to update it, haha.:p This sidekick I'm using has a "dateslate" app that I downloaded onto it that tracks countdowns for a number of things, pretty useful. If I havn't updated it in a while in my sig, I just check my phone.:laugh2:

It's become one of the many highlights of my day when I'm on EIC in the evening before bed, just dropping it one at a time.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Definitely a small consolation price to pay. As each 24 passes, though, the reality becomes that much closer.

Lauting

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
London, England
I would definitely take it back, mine had a small scuff on the chrome finish and took it back straight away (it will start to bug you in the long term, plus I was annoying the gf with my moaning).

Trouble is in the uk there is a massive shortage of 16gb so looks like I'm gonna have to wait a while.

:-(

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
All the refurbs that Apple has for replacements right now are actually brand new phones. After a month or so, you might be stuck with someone else's refurb. I would get a new one ASAP.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
With the original iPhone Apple said it was not exchanging phones because of slightly misaligned bezels. It infuriated a lot of people, but I don't know if they reversed course on the issue.

Sure, take it back, but don't be surprised if initially they say it's not actually a defect that allows an exchange. Keep trying if they say no.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Well now since they open up the iPhone for you, wouldn't the Genius activating the phone see that it is defective?

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
With the original iPhone Apple said it was not exchanging phones because of slightly misaligned bezels. It infuriated a lot of people, but I don't know if they reversed course on the issue.

Sure, take it back, but don't be surprised if initially they say it's not actually a defect that allows an exchange. Keep trying if they say no.
The bezel is somewhat sharp if you run your finger across one that is not aligned correctly, that would be my excuse, i don't need to get cut every time i use the phone. I didn't know the iPhone doubled as a razor blade :laugh2:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Well now since they open up the iPhone for you, wouldn't the Genius activating the phone see that it is defective?
They don't necessarily open them up. They didn't open mine up. I opened it when I got home...

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
The bezel is somewhat sharp if you run your finger across one that is not aligned correctly, that would be my excuse, i don't need to get cut every time i use the phone. I didn't know the iPhone doubled as a razor blade :laugh2:
I had an original that was misaligned slightly. One edge wasn't smooth like the other one. Other people had a similar alignment. When they tried to get new phones because of it, Apple said it wasn't actually a defect, but part of the manufacturing process.

I think sunglasses makers are the biggest proprietors of the practice of calling slight imperfections "part of the manufacturing process" and not true defects. If you get a slightly uneven pair of, say Oakleys, they won't exchange them for another "perfect" pair.

Thankfully my 3G is actually aligned perfectly on all sides.

Good luck with whatever happens to the OP.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
I had an original that was misaligned slightly. One edge wasn't smooth like the other one. Other people had a similar alignment. When they tried to get new phones because of it, Apple said it wasn't actually a defect, but part of the manufacturing process.

I think sunglasses makers are the biggest proprietors of the practice of calling slight imperfections "part of the manufacturing process" and not true defects. If you get a slightly uneven pair of, say Oakleys, they won't exchange them for another "perfect" pair.

Thankfully my 3G is actually aligned perfectly on all sides.

Good luck with whatever happens to the OP.
Well i will definitely check my iPhone before i leave the store well, and right there and then i will demand a different one if it is defective.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
My iPhone had a very noticeable gap between the bezel and the glass screen. I could actually see the inner-parts of the phone and I was sure that something would get into the gap eventually. I went to the Apple store and they replaced it out within 5 minutes. I would also recommend going to an Apple store if it bothers you and if they refuse to exchange it at first, be persistent until they change their minds.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
When I went in to exchange my phone for a completely different reason, the associate eventually asked me "What would make this situation better for you?" I told him I wanted a new phone. I'd agree with Youngbinks, persistence is the key if you get someone that really doesn't want to budge. Remind them you could go back to their competitor (even though you both know they really don't have any)!

GoldenAnkh

Bronze
Apr 5, 2007
Michigan, USA
www.robinsachs.com
I had to take mine back the next day to the Apple Store after I noticed the same issue on the lower right side of my phone. They replaced it, no questions asked.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I unboxed my brand new black 16gb tonight (only 4 hours in line at the Apple Store :eek:) and find something like a chip in the lower left hand edge of the chrome bezel:(. It looks more like the chrome finish just wasn't evenly applied at that edge. It doesn't look like damage from being dropped or mishandled (and no, I did not drop it).

Frankly, I don't really want to go through the hassle of an exchange (plus my screen looks just fine, and I'm more concerned about that). I'm just concerned that if it gets worse in a couple of weeks Apple will contend I dropped or damaged the phone and then I'm stuck.

do you have a picture? im curious to see what your talking about

drewatl

Bronze
Jul 5, 2008
Atlanta
www.twitter.com

Yes, I have that same problem. I see two little chips on mine. I got it the day it came out and noticed a couple of days ago. Just like i haven't dropped it so i hope i don't have any problem if i do return it.