3G Connection Issues: Hardware or Software?

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
you beat me to the punch I just read it and was going to post it! I had to Apple replace my phone yesterday do to poor 3G performance but the new phone isn't much better so I am hoping the software solution is the fix! It makes sense that Apple probably skimped on the chipset to offset the price reduction. I guess we could all hope the software doesn't work so they have to do a hardware recall!

It is really disappointing that Apple does not acknowledge these problems until they are widespread!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Interesting reading. If it is a hardware problem, there's not much Apple can do about it now. So many iPhones have been shipped out and sold. All they can do now, is hope they can fix the issue with a software update I guess. Not sure how effective that will be?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Interesting reading. If it is a hardware problem, there's not much Apple can do about it now. So many iPhones have been shipped out and sold. All they can do now, is hope they can fix the issue with a software update I guess. Not sure how effective that will be?
Well, I personally think it's smart of Apple to try to update the software first before assuming it's hardware and recalling millions of iPhones. I hope that it is software, but I guess only time will tell.

The arguments given for both were good.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I think they both know what the problem is, but are failing to admit to anything. No one will ever know, as Apple will never tell. A software fix is all they can do now.

It's smart for Apple to protect its shareholders, of course it is. Every company does it. A recall of all iPhones due to a hardware fault will kill their share price. Especially when the recall is for their flagship product.

Well, I personally think it's smart of Apple to try to update the software first before assuming it's hardware and recalling millions of iPhones. I hope that it is software, but I guess only time will tell.

The arguments given for both were good.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
man, a recall would bust Apple

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Interesting post. I bet Infineon and Apple are battling about this behind the scenes. I would love to be a fly on the wall in those meetings, including the possible software fix.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
It's your fault.. no it's you fault... You wanna go outside and talk about this?

The next UFC fight night, will be Jobsie and Infineon's chairman. Jobsie is a striker and the Infineon guy is a grAppler. Jobsie would be knocked out in 10 seconds me thinks. His pacemaker will give out because of bugs written by his developers. But it's an Apple pacemaker, so it will never get a virus or any pop ups ;)

Interesting post. I bet Infineon and Apple are battling about this behind the scenes. I would love to be a fly on the wall in those meetings, including the possible software fix.

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
It's your fault.. no it's you fault... You wanna go outside and talk about this?

The next UFC fight night, will be Jobsie and Infineon's chairman. Jobsie is a striker and the Infineon guy is a grAppler. Jobsie would be knocked out in 10 seconds me thinks. His pacemaker will give out because of bugs written by his developers. But it's an Apple pacemaker, so it will never get a virus or any pop ups ;)
Actually, it would be more like:

Infineon: "Our chips weren't designed to operate to the bandwidth and payload requirements that the AT&T network is requesting. Give us more money and we will fix the issue in hardware."

Apple: "We can't go down the hardware route. We have to fix this in software. How much will that cost?" (Meanwhile, Apple is trying to tweak its software overrides to tweak its 3G settings as a work-around.)

Infineon: "It will cost $1 zillion dollars."

Apple: "No thanks. We will just do it ourselves."

Meanwhile, the software gets fixed, but its a slow process because they don't have the testing software needed to probe into the Infineon chips and test the capability of the Infineon chips at a low level, thus requiring more trial and error "top-down" analysis. Two engineers are working around the clock to get the work-around tested and incorporated in the next release, software update takes much longer than expected to port over to the new firmware, and every user suffers in the meantime, while Apple says that a fix is just around the corner.

Aug 12, 2008
GSP exit 165, NJ
I read that thread, and one thing I find interesting, is that many iPhone users seem to think that the 3g network is new. In-fact 3g has been around for well over a year, however 3g is new to the iPhone. My friend recently picked up a BB Curve, his 3g reception, w/ AT&T, has been fine. This leads me to believe that the issues being reported are due to the iPhone and not the network, as I was talking to another friend who has an iPhone and he does complain about 3g and dropped calls. I'm glad I've been doing my homework and surfing for info rather than just dumping $300 on a new toy that seems to be having problems.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
I think it's a strong consensus now that it's not the network, but the device itself...
I wonder what kind of a fix can really be enabled via an update?
Anyone speak to this?