3G coverage

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Coverage is spotty at best. Chances are you'll find yourself surfing at Edge speeds just about everywhere.

It's one reason I'm not going to race out to my local Apple store and sign-up for another 2 years (and likely get stuck with a fat penalty for not being qualified for an upgrade yet) to get 3G service I'll likely rarely get to use. About the only thing the new iPhone has over my old one is GPS and this isn't exciting enough to make me go stand in line and pay more for the same service I already have.

I'm now more excited about the 2.0 firmware update for my existing iPhone than I am the iPhone 3G.

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
Coverage is spotty at best. Chances are you'll find yourself surfing at Edge speeds just about everywhere.

It's one reason I'm not going to race out to my local Apple store and sign-up for another 2 years (and likely get stuck with a fat penalty for not being qualified for an upgrade yet) to get 3G service I'll likely rarely get to use. About the only thing the new iPhone has over my old one is GPS and this isn't exciting enough to make me go stand in line and pay more for the same service I already have.

I'm now more excited about the 2.0 firmware update for my existing iPhone than I am the iPhone 3G.

I am also more interested in the 2.0 update over the 3g iPhone.

I am also not too sure how well the GPS would work on EDGE.

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
So I would have to sign a new contract, I thought we could just upgrade.
yes, the way i understand it is that if u upgrade to the 3g iPhone that it would extend the contract another 2 years.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Only if your account is upgradeable. There's lots of discussion on this with links to AT&T info. Since the iPhone just came out a year ago, you're in the middle of your contract like the rest of us (assuming you bought it on iDay). That means your account isn't eligible for a free upgrade. You're going to either have to wait until your account is eligible or you will have to pay a penalty/fee.

I'm in no hurry to pay more money (the service costs more per month too) for 3G that I will rarely have access to and for GPS which is nothing more than a novelty for me. I might use GPS once a month just for kicks, not because I will needed it. Hardly worth the extra cost to me right now.

All the excitement appears to be around the 2.0 firmware update. If this gives me Exchange support and games on my current iPhone, I see no reason to run out and buy a 3G phone... especially with the very-very small 3G coverage areas (not even in my home town!).

Kind of a let down, I was hoping for more in the 3G phone... but it's basically the same phone I already have with GPS.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I am also not too sure how well the GPS would work on EDGE.
I thought the same but Maps seems to work just fine on EDGE. Might be a problem for a roadtrip though where coverage (both 3G and EDGE) goes in and out.

Might be interesting to see if one could use a 3rd party GPS over bluetooth on the 1G phone. AFAIK, Apple hasn't opened up the Bluetooth options or the dock connector for developers but that could change. All you would need is an API hook.

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Only if your account is upgradeable. There's lots of discussion on this with links to AT&T info. Since the iPhone just came out a year ago, you're in the middle of your contract likeIf you are a current AT&T customer and you have a 2G iPhone
Thats incorrect

From Tuaw:

Take a deep breath, you can get the new iPhone 3G for the new lower price (starting at $199.99), as long as you sign a new two-year contract and add-on one of the new required data plans.

To quote from the AT&T memo:
When the 3G device launches, all active postpaid customers in good standing with a 2G iPhone will be eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing for a 3G device regardless of service tenure. (Customers that would not otherwise be eligible due to tenure will be made eligible at launch).

So if you bought an iPhone in June of last year -- you can upgrade to the new 3G phone. If you bought an iPhone in May (maybe you were the last person in your city to buy one), you can still upgrade at the lower price.

If you are a current AT&T customer and you do NOT have a 2G iPhone

You may or may not be eligible to buy the iPhone 3G at its lower price upon release. It depends on the length of your contract, the time of your last handset upgrade and anything else that weighs into AT&T's standard upgrade policy. The pricing for non-qualified upgrades has not been determined, but phones will still need to be activated in-store and with a data-plan and two-year contract.

If you are a new AT&T customer

Assuming you pass the credit check (Pre-Paid and Pick-Your-Plan are not eligible for the iPhone 3G), you can get the iPhone 3G for the new lower price. You will be required to sign up for a two-year contract and a voice and data plan.

Cancellation policy spelled-out

From the AT&T memo:
To cancel service within the first 30 days, the customer must return their equipment to the place of purchase (no exceptions). If the customer cancels service after 30 days, they will be charged the ETF. The customer is not required to return the device to cancel after 30 days.

So you have 30-days to return your iPhone 3G and your service will be cancelled as soon as you return the device. After 30 days, you can keep your phone but canceling service will mean you are responsible for the the ETF (early termination fee), which is usually several hundred dollars. the rest of us (assuming you bought it on iDay). That means your account isn't eligible for a free upgrade. You're going to either have to wait until your account is eligible or you will have to pay a penalty/fee.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Yeah, it looks like those of us that aren't eligible for an upgrade yet will have to pay more. Will that be the unsubsidized price? Who knows. I was ready to spend $600 on my iPhone 3G, so as long as it's less than that, I'm cool.

Joe

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I have zero 3G coverage here, and I don't care. The design along is enough, and I've wanted GPS for quite some time. Also, my current iPhone is covered is dings.

- John

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Seems kinda pointless to me to pay $10 more/month for the "design" + gps but still stuck on dialup speed if you don't have 3G doesn't it?

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I tried to search and didn't see this posted yet, but i was looking at the coverage of 3g. It seems that 3g doesn't reach too far, for AT&T atleast.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
good look on the info...seems like they got most of the areas covered...whoa! major gaps in West Virgina and Virginia ...out west too...praise God i'm in the southeast