3G Dock Options

Jul 29, 2008
Besides the ridiculously priced Apple brand dock, who has used or has some good leads on some desktop docks for the 3G ... ones that won't give the dreaded "this accessory was not made for iPhone".

If you can, post what kind of dock it is, and where you got it from. With the 3G being somewhat new, it's sorta hard to tell which docks are going to work with it. I've seen some chargers (not docks) that worked with the original iPhone but are a no go with the 3G.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
I just bought an iHome...no need for a dock anymore!
did you get the IP99 (the one made specifically for the iPhone)
how does it work with the 3g?
im about to buy it but for 150 i don't want the message to pop up saying it will not charge

noah82

Bronze
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
I bought the iP99BR at the Apple store for $150. It works like a charm with no GSM buzz or interference.

When you dock it, it does say that this accessory is not compatible, would you like to put in airplane mode. I just press no and everything works fine. I emailed iHome about it and they said that they are working with Apple to make sure that the message does not get displayed in future firmware updates.

noah82

Bronze
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
I am not sure if this will work with the iHome because I don't know if they use the universal dock system: Click here

Take the dock adapter off of your iHome and make sure that your 3G works with it, since many of the older accessories use the older Firewire charging pins and may not charge your new phone.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
NINE dollars? Apple, Apple, Apple...dock adapters came FREE with iPods! I'll go call up iHome, because I received mine on Christmas.

noah82

Bronze
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
The $9 doesn't even include shipping, so you'll probably be even more pissed...

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Do you hate me Noah?
'Cause it seems like you're egging me on, haha. :)

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
True. It must be "quality" plastic. Lets just hope it doesn't crack.