3G Gmail IMAP issues?

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
1,332
1
38
50
Northern California
#1
Okay, I've tried for nearly a full day to fix this myself because I am stubborn and don't like to admit that I need help. I've searched and no one else seems to be having a problem. I've tried everything I can think of (including restoring the phone to factory settings without using any backup from my v1).

I know the process. I've followed the steps. Everything is exactly as it is supposed to be. Imap is enabled (as it was already - I was already using it on my v1 iPhone). I have confirmed and reconfirmed that I have entered everything correctly on the phone (and know that I'm doing it right because I set up the v1 phone for my husband with his gmail and it's working fine).

I can receive email all day long. No problem. But I cannot send. I'm currently getting an error message that says, "The user name or password for [account] is incorrect. But before the restore this morning the error was saying that the sender didn't exist or something like that (I can't seem to replicate it now).

Any ideas?
 

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
1,024
14
38
Sunny, southern California.
#2
Try these...

It sounds like you've tried just about everything. :(

Here are two suggestions.

1) Upgrade to the latest firmware of the iPhone. From what I hear, the shipping firmware version is: 2.0 5A345, while the latest from iTunes is: 2.0 5A347

or

2) Open a new gmail account and try to set up that new account in your iPhone. If that doesn't work, maybe it's the phone? At the very least, you would have eliminated your original gmail account as being the culprit.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
 

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
1,332
1
38
50
Northern California
#3
Well, I already had the updated firmware.

I set up a new account and got it to work sending and receiving. So... now I really have no idea why the other one won't work. I was kinda starting to hope it was the phone; at least that has an obvious fix.
 

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
1,024
14
38
Sunny, southern California.
#4
Well, I already had the updated firmware.

I set up a new account and got it to work sending and receiving. So... now I really have no idea why the other one won't work. I was kinda starting to hope it was the phone; at least that has an obvious fix.
That's crazy. Maybe check out a specific gmail forum(s)?

Is there any way to reset your original account in gmail (from their web site)?

Also, for the time being, set up your original gmail account to automatically forward everything to your new gmail account. In addition, set up your new gmail account to send email "as" your original email. That way, this whole thing will be transparent to your friends, contacts, and anyone else with your original email address.

Here's another idea, go into gmail (original account) and turn off all POP3 and IMAP settings (disable them). Exit out and wait a little while (I don't kno--15 minutes or so). Then go back in and re-enable to see if that "fixes" the issue.
 

calistusj

New Member
Jul 13, 2008
1
0
0
#5
kisstine i experienced a similar problem: i could not send and receive messages from my gmail account.

the fix is: change your change password then re-add your gmail account to the iPhone
 

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
598
121
43
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
#6
Similar issue with .me

What I did was create a alias email account on .me and then try to set up a account on my iPhone to access it. I couldn't for the life of me get it to work when using the add .me option, then decided to try OTHER, I entered all my info and was getting the same errors about user and password. The solution for me was in the secondary part of the account setup, the actual login and password part. Instead of putting the name of my alias account, I put in my main .me account info. At that time, it created all the imap folders for my alias account and is working perfectly.

Don't know if this was your problem but it can be tricky sometimes for sure.
 

stevetim

New Member
Silver
Jul 20, 2007
606
0
0
#7
After my restore on the G3, gmail stopped working. I just went to my laptop and made sure my settings were correct on google's website.

Then I deleted and re-added my gmail account on G3, and voila'! Gmail is back. If anything, manually log into your gmail account's website. Don't use saved username or password on your computer.