3G Hold Out (see you in line in '09)

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
...after being enlightened by mobilehavoc
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
No one is stopping you or anyone buying it, I'm just pointing out to people that there are a lot of gaps still remaining. I'm not willing to spend $300-$400 every year to Apple for incremental updates. That's just me

...i wonder what's next for '09...and will i wait it out for a year to see what's next...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Maybe not, but I'm most certainly willing to pay $200 for GPS, 3G, a flush jack, better audio, and a very sexy design.

- John

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Maybe not, but I'm most certainly willing to pay $200 for GPS, 3G, a flush jack, better audio, and a very sexy design.

- John
Those things seem pretty worth it to me.

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
I don't get people who paid 3x what this phone costs for less features, then complain that the 3g iPhone didn't have every other feature that every other phone has.

Buy something else of keep the one you got, its very simple.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
...after being enlightened by mobilehavoc
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
No one is stopping you or anyone buying it, I'm just pointing out to people that there are a lot of gaps still remaining. I'm not willing to spend $300-$400 every year to Apple for incremental updates. That's just me

...i wonder what's next for '09...and will i wait it out for a year to see what's next...
Then in '09 are you going to hold out for the fourth generation iPhone in 2010?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 29, 2007
Then in '09 are you going to hold out for the fourth generation iPhone in 2010?
Beat me to the point.
I think the new iPhone is worth it along with SDK and I do not mind updates slowly. It keeps the phone "new" as it can be changing.

I just hope the hackers can come to our rescue so we can still enjoy the fun as for me hacking is 1/3 the fun with my iPhone.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
i will tell you certain what i'm waitn on...the day iPhone puts that iSight cam next to the earpiece...iChat/iPhoto all day...

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
i will tell you certain what i'm waitn on...the day iPhone puts that iSight cam next to the earpiece...iChat/iPhoto all day...
Thats a useless feature for 90% of iPhone owners, and they already have mobile uploads with geotagging that will be part of mobileme.

People are already griping about 10 bucks more for 3g you think mobile video chat wont be more than 10 bucks?

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Thats a useless feature for 90% of iPhone owners, and they already have mobile uploads with geotagging that will be part of mobileme.

People are already griping about 10 bucks more for 3g you think mobile video chat wont be more than 10 bucks?

don't care about the cost...it wont be outrageous since jobs is trying to make the 3G "more affordable" as he so eloquently put it...just want to see the feature that's all...

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I agree front facing video cam would be worthless. I mean iChat with video while holding your phone and tapping the screen with it moving all around would be pointless. Video calling is not really used in the US like it is in Europe. It wouldn't be practical for Apple to add it. I have a Nokia N95 8gb with a front cam on it and I have never even used it. What they should have done is improved the main camera of the phone and added a flash. I know the flash would take away somewhat from Apple's clean design, but without a flash a camera is useless unless you are outdoors or it is very bright indoors where you are shooting.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Also I remember when the iPhone was first released, people asked how can such a high-tech advanced phone like the iPhone didn't have video recording ability...
and Steve answered that "he didn't want anything to be done on the iPhone, that the iPhone couldnt accomplish well"

-Meaning that he doesn't want hardware or software on his products that are just useless, or irrelevant to the overall product. He wants all his products to do what they can do best, not add features that will slow the product down or a cant achieve maximum potential/efficiency :)

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
I sort of Agree With Doron. I'll hold off to get the 3G. I might not necessarily wait till 09, but patience is a virtue. Down the line we might see added colors increased memory and maybe even some other slight adjustments for the 3G Model. The only thing the 3G model offers in my opinion that is a big difference is the 3G of course, GPS, and Audio. (Don't Believe I Missed anything Significant) Its cool that the phone will be thinner, but the APP store will eventually make the 1st Gen almost equal to the 3G. So i rather hold off until something that Would make me Say "Wow I could really use that feature." Comes out

May 6, 2007
United States

- John
To me, all of these features are a minor at this time. I have a separate GPS and I don't use the internet feature of the iPhone a ridiculous amount. The headphone jack is okay for me, and the audio seems sufficient. The design of the original iPhone to me is superior, with the aluminum back and a flat back. I do see the appeal of the new design, and I think they did a great job. I will be holding out, as there is nothing at all wrong with keeping a v1 iPhone.
Good luck to all buying it.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
If the HTC Touch worked here in the US and had a better web surfing interface (mobile IE sucks), then I would have bought that over the iPhone hands down. It kills the iPhone in terms of functionality.

The iPhone is a sexy looking beast and has a great web surfing interface. But that is about it. The technology it has is not bleeding edge. More like rusty edge needing a tetanus shot technology.

May 6, 2007
United States
If the HTC Touch worked here in the US and had a better web surfing interface (mobile IE sucks), then I would have bought that over the iPhone hands down. It kills the iPhone in terms of functionality.

The iPhone is a sexy looking beast and has a great web surfing interface. But that is about it. The technology it has is not bleeding edge. More like rusty edge needing a tetanus shot technology.
I personally think that the iPhone technology is far superior to anything else available in the United States. Its design, as you insinuated, is for sure nicer than anything else. I know, this is all my opinion, but somebody prove me wrong :p.

What is so much better tech-wise on the HTC Touch? CNET gave it a 6.3/10, and isn't it a bit bulky? Please, I am not educated much with it, so let me know what the features are.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
It has everything that people are complaining about that the new iPhone will not have. VPN, MMS, 3.2 megapixel camera, camera can video, AD2P Bluetooth, MS Office, MicroSD card slot, to name just a few.

But no, the iPhone does not have technology that is far more superior than anything else out there. The AT&T 8525 that was released 3 years ago, had more technology then, than the iPhone has now. Yes, it even had 3G then. It was big though, as it had a slide out keyboard.

I use the AT&T Tilt for my work, and I can actually use PC Anywhere on the phone and have my office desktop appear on the phone. Makes life so much easier for me, when I am on call.

But I'm still going to buy the iPhone for my personal phone.

I personally think that the iPhone technology is far superior to anything else available in the United States. Its design, as you insinuated, is for sure nicer than anything else. I know, this is all my opinion, but somebody prove me wrong :p.

What is so much better tech-wise on the HTC Touch? CNET gave it a 6.3/10, and isn't it a bit bulky? Please, I am not educated much with it, so let me know what the features are.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
If I got mine on iDay, I'd get the 3G for sure. But I've only had it for 6 months. I still love it and have had zero problems with it. Faster web would definitely be nice, but I think I will wait a while.