3G in June

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
With SDK being released in June, it might make sense. These rumors are always unpredictable so we will have to wait until June and see what happens. Until 3G becomes more wide spread though, a new phone will be of little interest to me unless there is a lot more to it than 3G.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
With SDK being released in June, it might make sense. These rumors are always unpredictable so we will have to wait until June and see what happens. Until 3G becomes more wide spread though, a new phone will be of little interest to me unless there is a lot more to it than 3G.
yes, same here. Maybe it will be a 32gig. Then I'd get it. :cool:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Well we're supposes to have 3G here by the end of the year, so I guess I would go ahead and buy one in June if I could.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I can hear it now...

"well now that the appstore is available to all consumers, you will now be able to download any app via a wifi hotspot, but why just limit yourself to finding the nearest wifi hotspot, the edge network would do the trick but not near as fast right?.....*pause*(crowd holding breath)......introducing the new iPhone running on At&t's 3rd generation network....(crowd applauds, cries, orgasims, etc..etc...)"

:p

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
According to an article at iPhone Alley http://www.iphonealley.com/

The 3G will be here in June.
According to the article, it doesn't say it will be available in June. It says there's no exact date and it's just speculation by Bank Of America. Since when does anybody believe anything Bank Of America says? They are the worst bank ever.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Hi Guys I guess we all what the next best thing but I think I will wait and see how the 3G version turns out. I thought I'd want 32 gb also but when I actually took the time to wittle down my fav tracks they only took up 7gb. Even with my photos and 4 vids I am still only at 10gb. If you manage things space isn't that big an issue then use iTunes to store the rest. I have had a 3g phone before and the coverage can be a bit crappy so really it isn't a big deal for me

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Hi Guys I guess we all what the next best thing but I think I will wait and see how the 3G version turns out. I thought I'd want 32 gb also but when I actually took the time to wittle down my fav tracks they only took up 7gb. Even with my photos and 4 vids I am still only at 10gb. If you manage things space isn't that big an issue then use iTunes to store the rest. I have had a 3g phone before and the coverage can be a bit crappy so really it isn't a big deal for me
Good point. Why keep all of your music/videos on the phone when it takes so little time to switch around?
I have been saying for months that everyone should check 3g coverage in their area before jumping on a new phone if that is the main reason you want one. Right now it is very spotty and I am not sure how long it takes to get 3g up and running in a new area.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
According to an article at iPhone Alley http://www.iphonealley.com/

The 3G will be here in June.
Unlikely (imo). This report is as per "an analyst" at BOA, hardly an insider. The Commercial Times reported that Hon Hai is bidding for next gen, i.e. 3G, iPhone production (link, courtesy of Macrumors.com). If the contract is still bidding out, we won't see anything in 2 months.

'Course, I'd love to be wrong. :p

-K

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Just one more thing having used 3g and wifi I think wifi ability is by far the best asset to have on a phone and we have it! I am looking forward more to the app store/ exchange support and a few other things like ... being able to forward a sms getting sorted out.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Good point. Why keep all of your music/videos on the phone when it takes so little time to switch around?
I have been saying for months that everyone should check 3g coverage in their area before jumping on a new phone if that is the main reason you want one. Right now it is very spotty and I am not sure how long it takes to get 3g up and running in a new area.
Couldn't agree more. iTunes lets you manage everything so seemlessly!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It would be sweet to have the 3G speeds for surfing though. I'm not worried about storage as much as I am speed.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
It would make a lot of sense to have a 3G phone come out at the same time as the new firmware. It gives people a reason to upgrade, but more importantly it would be really smart of Apple with their recent businesss use push of the iPhone. With EDGE you can have voice or data, not both. That's a problem with businesss users. Plus push email works a lot better over 3G. If Apple truly wants to make this a more businesss oriented phone as well as consumer they will need to have the 3G.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
It would make a lot of sense to have a 3G phone come out at the same time as the new firmware. It gives people a reason to upgrade, but more importantly it would be really smart of Apple with their recent businesss use push of the iPhone. With EDGE you can have voice or data, not both. That's a problem with businesss users. Plus push email works a lot better over 3G. If Apple truly wants to make this a more businesss oriented phone as well as consumer they will need to have the 3G.
Well if what you say is true, (never used push email myself) sounds like were lookin' good in june I'd say. I've learned not to get my hopes up though until Apple announces themselves.

chris5468

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Springfield,il
I guess I better start saving up for a new one, but that kinda sucks since I just got the iPhone in January.

ski3938

Mar 30, 2008
What about the GUTS?

Unlikely (imo). This report is as per "an analyst" at BOA, hardly an insider. The Commercial Times reported that Hon Hai is bidding for next gen, i.e. 3G, iPhone production (link, courtesy of Macrumors.com). If the contract is still bidding out, we won't see anything in 2 months.

'Course, I'd love to be wrong. :p

-K
If these phones are now in production all of the vendors are now actually producing the parts. I would love to know who is making the PA for these phones. In fact I would like to hear all the rumours out there about the vendors>

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I guess I better start saving up for a new one, but that kinda sucks since I just got the iPhone in January.
Well that's just the technology flow today. Not much we can do about better devices coming out every year or so.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
If these phones are now in production all of the vendors are now actually producing the parts. I would love to know who is making the PA for these phones. In fact I would like to hear all the rumours out there about the vendors>
Here's a quote from a member over at macrumors named "tOmatO", he seems to know his stuff! I would highly recommend anyone interested in 3g reading this entire thread. Very interesting.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=438408

"So
- Garner backtracks and clarifies
- Bank or America gets up to the prediction plate.
- The Commercial Times reports Hon Hai is competing to make the next iPhone (via MarketWatch).

Gartner:
Gartner - last Thursday: Backtracking on Ken Dulaney's comments reported by the iPod Observer. Bob Hafner, Dulaney's boss disagrees with the original article.

Gartner doesn't know whether Apple has actually placed an order but believes it'll have 3G. No big shakes there. However, Gartner DOES expect OLED. Yay! (They are seriously cool - think about it - the screen is a vital part ofthe iPhone - so why not pimp it out?)

Bank of America
Apple is expected to launch a high-speed wireless version of iPhone in the second quarter and to produce as many as 8 million in 3Q. (Prediction in a research report about the phone from Bank of America analyst Scott Craig.)

"Our latest channel checks point to a significant production build of a 3G iPhone beginning in the month of June after a initial small build in May," he said in a note to clients.

Craig expects production volume to be much higher than his previous estimates. He said Apple planned to build more than 3 million high-speed iPhones in May followed by more than 8 million in the third quarter of the year.

Craig, who had previously estimated 8 million iPhone units for the whole of 2008, said that was starting to look conservative unless some of the plans were pushed back.

Current Analysis analyst Avi Greengart said that Apple would likely bring out its high-speed iPhone in June around the time it is expected to launch an upgrade to iPhone software.

Order already or bidding still?
Rumors are that there are already orders, others that there's still bidding.

Dow Jones reports that Hon Hai will produce the second generation of the iPhone, but get this the quote is that it's described as a "more advanced version" Wowa!

Would Apple go so far in preserving privacy, as to circumvent the need to file FCC documentation for the US version of the device by launching it outside the US first? Hehe. That or they put a small order out for demo models?

is competing to make Apple's new version of its third-generation iPhone, the Commercial Times reported Friday without citing sources.
If Hon Hai wins the order, it could ship an extra 10 million handsets a year, the Chinese-langauge paper said. It didn't name the other companies interested in Apple's order."

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
"Many are holding high hopes for a front-mounted camera to be featured in the next-gen model, allowing for easy video-chat with both iPhone users and computer-based iChat users. With the technology fitting into Apple's values of stylish communication, we can't see how it's not a possibility. We can all imagine an Apple advert with the same familiar jingle, showing how easy it is to use iChat to talk to your contact Chloe face-to-face about the new Macy Gray album you bought the other day, or your favourite Starbucks blend, can't we?"

Ok, THAT^ would be freaking awesome! aaaand.....

"With the US carrier AT&T expanding their 3G network coverage, it's looking more and more likely that Steve Jobs and his black turtleneck won't be disappointing their customers, with a price-point for an entry-level 8GB 3G iPhone looking set to be $499 or £349 according to T3's in-house currency converter."

WTH?! What gives them the idea that they would drop the capacity rather than increase it even more? I'd believe an entry level at 16gb and the new top of the line model at 32gb OR MORE!