3G iPhone after 3GSM? Theory!

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Hey
I was just thinking that since 3GSM (mobile phone conference) takes place this month, a lot of companies will be releasing 'iPhone copies', with their only take on iPhone being "Our's has got GPS, and 3G capabilities". Then, IMO, everyone will be talking about this being the end of iPhone, and talking about how the iPhone is great, but compared to the others with 3G, it falls short.

Then, once 3GSM is over, and once everyone is discussing these 'iPhone copies', I think that maybe Apple will release iPhone V2, with 3G, GPS, 3 megapixel camera, faster processor etc. etc., stealing the spotlight back, and sending all those other companies back to the drawing board.

What do you think? Good theory eh? :cool:

Arran

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I'm not aware of Apple doing any major announcements of new product offerings outside of their own MacWorld. They don't like to share the spotlight. This includes, historically, CES and all the other big shows of the past.

So nice theory...but I think you've seen the big announcements for the year. It's entirely possible, however, that 3G is not considered a "major product announcement" from Apple, but more of an incremental product update. If that's the case...then sure, anything is possible.

But I'd still be monitoring the wires looking for FCC license approvals for 3G. Nothing will be released until that happens. And as of today, it's not happened.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
The only thing that might not hold true is people being sick of the iPhone copies. Personally I am salivating over the upcoming Garmin phone. One of the big reasons is that I don't believe (yet) that they will hold the phone hostage like Apple has. The fact that the SDK is only coming outdue to public outcry and SJ having to reverse his absolute stand on webapps only still makes me want to puke.

Plus, I think Tinman is tracking FCC submission or something as he said that none have gone in from Apple for a next generation device. I assume all aspects of government move slow so you cant wait too long to announce something since there is a long delay and your secret is basically out. That and ATT already stole his thunder by announcing the gen2 for sometime this year.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
Hey
I was just thinking that since 3GSM (mobile phone conference) takes place this month, a lot of companies will be releasing 'iPhone copies', with their only take on iPhone being "Our's has got GPS, and 3G capabilities". Then, IMO, everyone will be talking about this being the end of iPhone, and talking about how the iPhone is great, but compared to the others with 3G, it falls short.

Then, once 3GSM is over, and once everyone is discussing these 'iPhone copies', I think that maybe Apple will release iPhone V2, with 3G, GPS, 3 megapixel camera, faster processor etc. etc., stealing the spotlight back, and sending all those other companies back to the drawing board.

Arran
for the processor on the iPhone to be faster is just a question of a sw update. its a 600mhz processor but running at 400mhz if u have firmware 1.0.2 or less and 412mhz at firmware 1.1.1 or higher. Apple did this to save battery life. the higher the clock speed of the processor the greater is power requirements are.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
for the processor on the iPhone to be faster is just a question of a sw update. its a 600mhz processor but running at 400mhz if u have firmware 1.0.2 or less and 412mhz at firmware 1.1.1 or higher. Apple did this to save battery life. the higher the clock speed of the processor the greater is power requirements are.
What I meant by a faster processor is that with the release of the macbook air, Intel made smaller processor chips, which some people think will be implemented into the iPhone V2.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
The only thing that might not hold true is people being sick of the iPhone copies. Personally I am salivating over the upcoming Garmin phone. One of the big reasons is that I don't believe (yet) that they will hold the phone hostage like Apple has.
As a Garmin Nuvi 6xx series GPS owner, I can assure you.....Garmin is the absolute KING of holding their OS and affiliated data (maps in this case) hostage. Just registering to get an update requires a PhD in cryptography. They have a hideous support process for their products.

I really like what I see with the Nuvi phone product...but I'm betting Garmin is gonna screw the pooch on that thing big time.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
What I meant by a faster processor is that with the release of the macbook air, Intel made smaller processor chips, which some people think will be implemented into the iPhone V2.
oh so u mean like a processor that would have over a ghz of power? that would be nice. an update in ram would be appreciated as well. fast processor isn't that useful without the ram that can handle the requirements of the processor

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
As a Garmin Nuvi 6xx series GPS owner, I can assure you.....Garmin is the absolute KING of holding their OS and affiliated data (maps in this case) hostage. Just registering to get an update requires a PhD in cryptography. They have a hideous support process for their products.

I really like what I see with the Nuvi phone product...but I'm betting Garmin is gonna screw the pooch on that thing big time.
Uggg, that makes me sad to hear this. The only Garmin product I use, which I love, is the Edge 305 cycling GPS unit. Other then the way the battery is connected (repeated vibrations, which you always experience on a bike) will shake it loose and the unit turns off and on all by itself. Since I got it at REI I just took it back for a new one, but still. Ok, maybe I might not want one. I figured I would really be making a decision once a lot more info was released. I don't expect that till around the end of the summer.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hey

Arran
while we are dreaming here :cool: lets make that 3 megapixel camera a 5 mp with a decent flash and 30fps video recording capabilities. Also bluetooth dial-up capabilities. That way I don't have to keep my Nokia N95 and lug around two phones (and a paperclip) with me. The worst part is trying to scramble for a paperclip when I need to swap my sim :p

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
while we are dreaming here :cool: lets make that 3 megapixel camera a 5 mp with a decent flash and 30fps video recording capabilities. Also bluetooth dial-up capabilities. That way I don't have to keep my Nokia N95 and lug around two phones (and a paperclip) with me. The worst part is trying to scramble for a paperclip when I need to swap my sim :p
Man that sounds like a lot of hastle. If you are jailbroken there is an app that allows you to use your iPhone as a modem.