3G iPhone and New Contract

Mikewgolf

Jan 30, 2007
I have been reading this site for over a year. It has been unbelievably helpful

My Question is if I have purchaed an iPhone last year. Will I be able to upgrade to the 3G when it comes out by signing a new contract or do I have to wait for my current contract to expire.

Thank You:sick:

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I am not sure how AT&T will handle that. When I was with Verizon I could upgrade my phone anytime I wanted without renewing or extending my contract as long as I bought the phone myself (no discount from them). It was only when getting a discount that they required an account extension. I assume, since we buy the phones outright, that there is going to be some means to simply change from one phone to the new one without any modifications to your existing contract. But I think we will have to wait until it actually comes out to be sure.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
You can never say 100 % but when I went from my 8gig to the 16 gig I didn't have to extend my contract. Typically unless the phone is subsidized you don't have to extend the contract, but the iPhone hasn't been typical in the way it has been handled so we will wait and see.

Mikewgolf

Jan 30, 2007
I certainly hope you are right.

I am looking forward to 3g for downloading and searching the web

Thanks for your reply
:)

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
My personal opinion is that Apple will require a new two year agreement for the 2nd gen iPhone. They won't let people retain the current contract like they did with people that upgraded from 4 to 8 and 8 to 16.

Joe

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
I agree with you Quake97. Apple knows that most likely those that buy the new iPhone won't really care that much if they have to renew their AT&T contract. For me it's not a deal breaker if I have to renew my contract. Plus I'm sure Apple would get a kick back from AT&T if they require a renewal. I guess we'll find out soon.

We Beat U

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008
My theory is that Apple will sell the unlocked phone for $699 as previously rumored. If you want to get the $200 discount throught AT&T, you'll have to sign another (or new) 2yr agreement knocking the price down to $499 if you so choose.

This model would allow Apple to not loose a valuable revenue stream on any phone not activated through AT&T....which is currently the case when JB'en to use on another network. Apple could then spread out the $200 difference over 24 months just like they do now on IP1.

Mikewgolf

Jan 30, 2007
We Beat You

Good Point I will definitely be getting the 3G when it comes out.

I have loved the iPhone Apple has a winner

I will also be changing to Apple Computers as well

Thanks to ;)everyone for theircomments

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
were are you guys getting the 3G phone will $699(or $200-300 more than current models)?
This would be an insane price increase and seems contrary to what Apple did last year with change from 4gb/8gb to 8gb/16gb

arlan

Bronze
Jan 10, 2008
I have the same question about this whole upgrading process. I really want to upgarde my current iPhone for the new 3g. If there's any posibility. let me know yeah ?

:D

May 24, 2008
Im sure AT&T will do the same thing they did when the original iPhone was released. I think current AT&T customers will be able to upgrade to the new 3G iPhone's with out having to pay more money for the device however, I think they would be stupid to not make you extend your 2 year contract with them. In addition, your new year long warranty with Apple would start then too (for buying a new product).

arlan

Bronze
Jan 10, 2008
that's what im hoping will happen or something to do simply as if you have the iPhone version 1 that you can just replace it off for the 3g paying money difference?

:(

mutilate607

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
lol this was my question last year. what they do is just refresh your 2 year contract. so lets say i have 4 months left before i upgraded to iPhone 2. they just make me do a new 2 years and cancel out the 4 months

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
I was assured by an AT&T rep at the time of my iPhone purchase that the contract would not be extended upon the purchase of a newly released version.

But who knows for sure....

mutilate607

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
.. thats weird. when i bought my first iPhone they just made me do a new 2 year contract

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
that's what im hoping will happen or something to do simply as if you have the iPhone version 1 that you can just replace it off for the 3g paying money difference?

:(
Apple doesn't do upgrade programs, so you won't be able to just turn in your old iPhone and get a next gen on the cheap. I'm pretty sure there will be a new contract, but I'm wondering how it'll work. I originally thought it was just extending your current contract another two years, but with the rumors of AT&T subsidizing, who knows.

Joe

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
Im sure AT&T will do the same thing they did when the original iPhone was released. I think current AT&T customers will be able to upgrade to the new 3G iPhone's with out having to pay more money for the device however, I think they would be stupid to not make you extend your 2 year contract with them. In addition, your new year long warranty with Apple would start then too (for buying a new product).
I agree. The iPhone generally has a different system in places. For example, when the first (and current) iPhone was released, it wasn't subject to rebates and things like that from AT&T. I'm sure that anyone who is currently in an iPhone contract will be able to just renew their current contract and purchased the new iPhone at whatever price it is released at from either the 1)Apple Store 2)Apple Store Online or 3) AT&T.

Hope this helps.

jpan08

May 27, 2008
So if i do buy the new 3G iPhone and cancel service on my old one, will i still be able to use the old iPhone for its ipod capabilities and wifi? because we had to activate the phone in order to be able to use it.

May 25, 2008
blarg.

Heres how AT&T should handle it:
If they do yet another 2 year contract like they did last year, they should AT LEAST give a $100 discount. Those are my thoughts.

Nov 1, 2007
hi all over here in uk the 8 gig 16 gig iPhone have all gone in all outlets over here so question: if i make a claim on insurance what will they replace it with? a new 3g iPhone maybe heres hoping regards pete